The ongoing mystery: how long will 35mm film be available?

<p>I was reasonably certain that I remembered Mr. Papai from a battle royal hereon from two years or so ago. Ironically, I was in the role of championing film while Papai was certain that digital had already rendered film obsolete. You then followed me to another forum in an effort to keep the fracas going. I recall denominating you "the Marin County hot tubber," borrowing a phrase from George H. W. Bush, who was referring to that benighted kid named Lindh who thought it would be fun to be a Taliban jihadist for a while. As I recall, Mr. Bush pronounced your county "MARE-uhn." Oh, well, the Bush clan probably isn't very popular there. Keep on sending Lynn Woolsey to the House. Marvellous lady. SU</p>

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Marin County is a wonderful and beautiful place. I have a nephew that lives a little further north in Sonoma County which is another beautiful place. Being a liberal myself I could care less if somebody shoots a digital camera or a film camera. You can shoot an ipad 2 if you want. Just hold the big calculator looking thingy up and snap away and It's fine with me. I have a cat that is pretty smart. I am sure she knows when E-6 will die all the way. There are quite a few E-6 labs around and they want to know as soon as she give a nod from her head. Up and down means yes it will die soon, and side to side means it will be around for a long while. So far she won't nod. I think she will by next June however. My beautiful wife and my one eyed cat are working as a team on the June thing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well, Mr. Z., you know absolutely nothing about the extent of my knowledge, my intellect, or the breadth and depth of my humor on the basis of one silly thread on an insignificant blog.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And I've heard more than enough of your endless b.s. to care.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Don't take "Jeff Z" seriously either. Were he serious, he would stand behind his words with an image portfolio, website, account, bio, etc. He revels in the anonymity. Like a trifle.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Too funny, I've taken you for a pompous putz ever since reading only a few posts quite some time ago.</p>

<p>Why don't you two go some place besides the<em> film</em> forum?? (Rhetorical question)</p>

<p>Actually, Charles Watkins, my comment about the trend the thread was taking being distasteful was written <em>before</em> I saw your post -- writing it took a long time, since I was trying not to heat the pot still further, and I discarded many prior versions. I took your comments as being humorous in intention. I don't think the earlier comments were, unfortunately.<br>

Of course, the actual target of the comment will probably not realize who they were, even now. I believe the term is "clueless."</p>

<p>I think you are all funny. And no need to snipe here. Yes I have been told I look like Leon Redbone and also like Frank Zappa. I was away for a little over a day and I see where this went. Again just shoot all the film you want and enjoy it. This is the internet and I learned years ago that if you take everything too serious you will lose the great wheat that is in the chaff.</p>

<p> Larry</p>

<p>I was very much surprised on my last trip to Dubai to find 120 kodak films, not many but 45 of them which I bought, other wise these size films are totally un available in my part of the world, another 50 120 films I bought from kodak dealer in Colombo Sri Lanka while the Slide Fuji 120 films from b&h.<br>

It was interesting to fine also in Dubai 35mm films made by Mistoboshi but I scared to buy any of them.<br>

Films like 120, slides and b/w are getting too rare here and thats indicates they might also run out of the world markets in 2 or 3 years time, I believe even if some remained behind the chemical to process those films will be too rare to find, other wise all the labs will stop processing films in 3 years times.</p>

<p>No my friend Larry, it is MitshMitsubisi, this film made in Japan, I been give 6 of them, did not use them yet, the sale man told me that they import and re exports these films to some countries in Africa and they are relatively much cheaper than kodak or fuji films, the box in dark blue.</p>

<p>Yes it is the same film different box I am pretty sure. It looks real good in Rodinol I used full stand 1-100 for a hour. It said made in Japan on the box but the development times were the exact same as Foma 100. I will take a look as I may have some examples of it.</p>

<p>Thank you my friend Larry, I will go ahead and use the 6 films I have, I actually been offered to get these films for very cheap price in case I been interested, if so I will be some more of them<br>

Thank you my friend.</p>

• 10 months later...
<p>Thirty years ago people were engaging in similar speculations regarding the status of small format movie films like Super 8.<br /> <br /> Last time I checked, Kodak is <em>still</em> producing Super 8 movie film in several different varieties, reversal and color. Ebay sales of Super 8 movie cameras and projectors have also remained vigorous over the past ten years.<br /> <br />Frankly, I think I have a greater chance of dying from a heart attack or stroke than of one day ending up with a closet full of Nikon and Canon 35mm film bodies and no film to put in them.<br /> <br /> Those who like to clamor endlessly about film's imminent demise are, in my view, simply trying to reinforce and rationalize their own yielding to the current widespread preference for the digital photographic medium.<br /> <br /> As for me, I much prefer traditional photo-chemical methods to full-frame digital for anything but casual snap shots. B&W film appears to exhibit superior tonal characteristics and color transparency film can be projected in such a way as to produce an aesthetic experience which does not compare with that rendered by even the highest quality computer monitor.<br /> <br /> This discussion calls to mind a passage from Nietzsche's <em>Beyond Good and Evil, </em>where he remarks that "One must renounce the <em>bad taste</em> of wishing to agree with many people."<br /> <br /> I agree.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Unfortunately Michael Axel was right at Feb 22, 2011; 02:04 p.m.<br /><br />"The date was actually noted many centuries ago, and it is: December 21, 2012."<br>

Kodak diead 1.3.2012 and my friedn from Japan told me that Fuji will stop production sometime this year though. Truly sad....</p>

<p>My friend in Japan said "Nuclear power plants are safe." :-) Folks there will always be 35mm film of some type for us to use if that is what we want to do. The proof is how many people I have gotten to try and keep using the new ORWO films.<br>

Will we always have always have E6 film. I am not going to make that call. Will we always have some type of B&W film? I say yes we will. Will we always have some type of Color negative film. Always is a long time but I say we will for many years to come.<br>

My last 2 cents worth on this. Have fun go shoot a roll of film today and feel better about yourself.<br>

Larry</p>

<blockquote>

<p> Have fun go shoot a roll of film today and feel better about yourself.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> I just do that and , yes I feel better and really can't imagine a day when there will not be a film.<br>

Well , about Fuji I don't now , i didn't say it will be for sure , but "where there's smoke there's fire". I really would like to be optimist , and I did believe in film future until I saw Kodak's DISCONTINUATION NOTICE. <br>

"Will we always have some type of Color negative film"<br>

I want always the best films, because shooting with low quality films doesn't make sense to day </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I too was dismayed to see Kodak throw the last of its remaining 35mm reversal emulsions under the bus, however, it is interesting to note that while Kodak has for now pulled the plug on slide film, it continues to offer color reversal movie film for the super 8 format. This tells me that as long as there is a demand for a film, Kodak will produce it. There just doesn't seem to be enough demand right now to support 35mm reversal under Kodak's<em> present</em> circumstances. That doesn't mean that its gone forever. If Super 8 color reversal (an obsolete format if their ever was one) managed to bounce back after the scuttling of its iconic Kodachrome mainstay, there really is no reason to think that 35mm reversal won't eventually follow suit. <br /> Manufacturers obviously need to pare down their line of traditional emulsion based products as 35mm gives way almost completely to the new consumer digital format, but it hardly follows from this that 35mm cannot survive indefinitely as a niche product in exactly the same way that Super 8 has. Granted, the choices aren't as diverse as they once were, though in many ways this is a refreshing development, as the lack of this formerly luxurious array allows one to forego the tendency to indiscriminately vacillate between films rather than concentrate on the art itself. I frankly do not care if there is only one or two types of slide film available, as long as they are of good quality and reasonably priced processing is available.<br /> Besides, Kodak's E-6 line was never that appealing anyway. Apart from the now defunct Kodachrome, which I consider to have been Kodak's only truly unique and irreplaceable offering in this department, many have expressed the opinion, with which I completely concur, that Kodak never did anything with E-6 slide films that Fuji didn't do better.<br /> Last time I checked, Fuji is still producing Velvia and Provia with great aplomb, so I must assume that sales continue to be brisk. The number of people using these films is obviously not as great as it was ten years ago, but I believe there are enough hard core 35mm enthusiasts to justify continuing production of at least these two brands almost indefinitely, and certainly a greater remnant than that which comprises the dwindling community of contemporary Super 8 enthusiasts!<br /> As the saying goes, KEEP HOPE ALIVE!</p>