Olympus RC-whats wrong with this picture

Dan Deary

<p>

<p>OK it looks like the self-timer is engaged—it isn’t. I purchased this camera in a rummage sale no less for a measly $5. When I spied it I immediately checked the the essentials ie the shutter, focus, rangefinder, lens, and at first glance I thought I had a near perfect Olympus RC that needed a little cleaning. This is a favorite of mine. I have two already but you can never pass up a classic at give away prices. Of course at further inspection I realized the misplacement of the self-timer lever. It cannot be used at all in self-timer mode. Was it done intentionally? Or was it done by and incompetent amateur( or professional) repairman perhaps with a little too much bourbon?<br>

We can speculate several scenarios. Perhaps after the self-timer locked up the shutter once, necessitating a major repair, someone decided to make it inoperative to prevent a re-occurrence. I know about old cameras and the sage advice ‘Never use the self timer.’ Another reason may be that someone with rather large, beefy fingers found the lever intrusive and moved it out of the way. I have small to medium size hands and sometimes I have difficulty moving the aperture ring—it is a very small 35 mm after all. Any thoughts?</p>

</p>

Dan Deary

<p>I can't find my custom made pin spanner right now so I can't remove my lever to check but.... I think the shaft is square and the lever might have just been put on 90 degrees off. Sometimes you can remove those round nuts with pointy tweasers stuck in the holes. If I remember correctly the threads are anti-clockwise. It's been so long since I removed one I just can't recall for sure. The RC is sure a fine camera except for the filter threads, 43.5mm fine thread. What a stupid size. They could have made it a stright 43mm like most of the Pen F lenses and also the Pen D.</p>