drowned my camera, need to choose a new one

antongorlin

<p>We have pointed out a few times that the D80 and D90 have essentially the same body. Nikon reused the D80 body design for the D90, but the D90 has a few extra buttons since it has video capture and the back LCD is larger. The two use the same MB-D80 vertical grip. Of course the sensor and electronics inside are different.</p>

<p>The D7000 is slightly bigger but noticeably heavier due to more metal parts inside.</p><div>00YGOx-334549684.jpg.6aeb61fedc525109e1da548e4d8df31a.jpg</div>

<p>Today's overkill is tomorrow's old technology. I've never felt disappointed buying overkill. I find that overkill has a longer life in my hands. I have a D7000 and have pushed about 2000 exposures through it and the WOW factor keeps getting bigger and better. Go for the D7000 and you won't regret it.</p>

<p>Since you do a fair amount of low light shooting, I think the D7000 would be great. It should also be "current" for the next four years or so. For a lens, the Nikon f4 you were using was working, so it's an obvious candidate. I tried it but it was not fast enough. I ended up with the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. I need the f2.8 for low light. The lens is sharp and controls distortion very well. I also have the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 so I miss nothing at all by having an 11-16mm lens while gaining f2.8.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>I went from a D80 to a D300 and was amazed by the diferences. I'm sure either the D90 or the D7000 would satisfactoraily replace and upgrade your shooting experience. On the lens side I've only got experience with the Tokina 11-16. It is an excellent lens hands down, I recommend it with no reservations save its limited range... but thats kind of obvious.</p>

<p>I'd look at your catalog and see how much you use the 17-24mm range and let that be your guide for deciding on it versus either of the Nikons. Hopefully your 12-24 is repairable and you can just keep it and spend the extra on the D7000, or another lens!</p>

<p>Your portfolio images are really first class by the way, very clean, hi-impact shots!</p>

<p>Perhaps I should clarify..the <strong>grip..</strong> the D80 is larger then the D90 ..they are NOT the same body..I am willing to bet my life on that..and the D7000 grip is a touch smaller then that of the D90 I would also be willing to make a considerable bet on that too..any takers? Having held all three cameras..and used the D80 and the D90 extensively ..I have no doubt about this..I believe there are some who might want to know that info..for me..the D7000 feels cramped..compared to the D90..but if that is not an issue due to smallish hands..go for it. Being a golfer and tennis player..grips are things I know and they are important to me.. in photograhy..if it feels small in my hand..I immediately dismiss the camera..regardless of how great it might be. I spend lots of time holding a camera ..so I want it to be comfortable.I added a third party grip to my D90 for that reason..and perhaps that could be the answer for the D7000 for those who prefer a larger more robust feel.</p>

<p>As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words"..as noted ..the difference between the grips on d90 and d7000..the space for the fingers is quite a bit smaller on the D7000 making for a very cramp feel unless you have small hands. In the case of the D80 ..it was a beefer feel near the palm.,,more like the Canons..oops ..am I allow to say that here..LOL.</p>

<p>I was wondering if KEH http://www.keh.com/ might offer Anton something for the parts or are they completely useless now? I have an old lens that has mold growing in it I think they offered me something but it is still somewhere in my house. I had it cleaned once by a local guy but it came back. The repair guy told me to not leave the lens in a lens case when they are sitting around not being used. I live in a high humidity area. But this lens was a Sigma back from the late 70's. I don't know if that still pertains with today's equipment.</p>

<p>Off topic but we touched on this earlier- About removing camera from tripod when adjusting tripod. <strong>Are you folks saying that when adjusting your tripod leg/legs even a few inches up or down, that you remove the camera every time? </strong>If so I am curious why? I need to know if I am damaging something or is this just considered too risky by some photographers? I have always done this and never thought about it.<br>

Plus Ross said he never steps away from away from the tripod for any reason. I don't like to leave the camera/tripod either.... especially when I am shooting in shallow water or on a surface that concerns me, but there are times over the years that I wanted photos of me/friends and nobody to shoot the pix. I used my tripod along with remote or timer. Sometimes I feel more secure using the tripod over some of the people that were available to hold my camera:)<br>

See this <strong>Manfrotto </strong>How To Lesson. http://www.manfrotto.com/Service/How+To+Lessons/Portraits+on+the+Beach/Portraits+on+the+Beach/3670810<br>

On the part <strong>Adjusting the Tripod for Low Angle Shots</strong>, it says ''Be sure to remove the camera from the tripod before making the adjustments.'' but farther down the same lesson it looks to me that the guy is adjusting the tripod with camera attached (figures 25-28). Figure 26 worries me. I think I would of had the left hand holding the camera rather then the top of the tripod or at least had camera strap wrapped around my wrist, like I did the other night when having the attachment issues. The Grip Action Ballhead in the images is the one that I use.<strong> </strong></p>