Does anyone else think this image is a funny as I do?

rocky_g.

<p>I am designing a sample wedding album and I want to do a spread showcasing a little goofiness and how much fun these people were having. That should be easy because these people were pretty dam fun. My question is about this one particular shot. I find it absolutely hysterical. I laugh out loud every time I see it. I just don't now if anyone else would find it funny. I was hopping for some input on whether or not I should include it.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br /> Rocky</p><div>00YGwl-334833584.jpg.7cb2d3f9e532cd5c890b7b877bd70c4d.jpg</div>

<p>hmmmm - I'm not getting the funny vibe from it personally - okay a guy is trying to dance while wearing a captain's hat and holding a drink - and someone behind him is trying to be a photographer....</p>

<p>Add to that the fact that the image doesn't "pop" - I'd say nope to it being in a sample album.</p>

<p>The challenge with "funny" is that no one else you're going to be showing this to was there with you at the reception - so they don't know the back story... I'm pretty sure that there is a funny story and that the reception was great - but the image just doesn't get that across. Being there when the image is shot adds to the strength of the memory and the emotions associated with the image.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I think it's mildly amusing at best. Sorry.</p>

<p>One of Robert Adams excellent books (can't remember if it's Beauty in Photography or Why People Photograph) has a short chapter on humor in photography. The brevity of the chapter is, in a way, it's point, because he observes that's actually hard to be truly funny in photos. He provides one great example that I remember: A group shot of a company of firemen posing in front of a burning building.</p>

<p>For photography, as for acting, tragedy is easy — comedy is hard.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>

<p >It doesn't really bother me that the background goes dark. I think it would be a little to busy if everything was exposed uniformly. It seems to me that the sailor being brighter than the background keeps him the focus of the image. </p>

<p > This isn't a bridal portrait. I am not looking for a cover shot on my website. I am more curious about the initial connotation of this image than if it has a proper lighting ratios or pleasing lines. </p>

<p > Is it just me or when the the getting ready shots, ceremony, and formals are all over and people start putting their drink on, I start to take more technical liberties. I become more interested in getting fun shots at the right moment and less concerned about what direction the light is coming from and what my camera settings are. Don't get me wrong, I always try to take the best shot I can, but if I see something spontaneous and fun happening I am going to take the shoot and worry about lighting issues later.</p>

</p>

<p>The challenge with humor is that everyone's view of what is funny is different and it varies greatly depending on the situation, culture and environment. I'm sure that it was funny to be there and everyone who saw it will think that it is hilarious but as you can see from the responses on this thread, other's don't see the humor.</p>

<p>Good decision, Rocky. Clients have a way of homing in on the one sample that is less professional than what you would normally offer, and this image could lose you business. Not saying that you were wrong to capture it, or would be wrong to offer it to the client in the mix after the wedding, but wouldn't use it in any thing that would be construed as an example of your work.</p>

<p>Rocky,</p>

<p>I think that the moment was very funny and the Photo reminds you of that what you experienced while you were there. I also think it will have the same effect on the other guests that attended the wedding so I will definately make use of the picture. It captures a moment - I like the weay the dancing guy's finger points outward.</p>

Some people may laugh that were at the party, but so many things bothering me. I think it would have been trashed by me.

PN has a special section called HUMOR. Try this section. Go to GALLERY, click on RATE PHOTO's and you will find the humor section. Have it rated and see what happens. You may get a perfet score. Good luck. I'll keep a watch on it and I wont vote or make a comment.

<p>The guy's face make me giggle. If it is a friend of the client's (rather than a date of a friend), they may get a kick out of it. I'd spruce it up a bit and let them decide ... ya just never know. </p>

<p>I wouldn't use it as a sample for other prospects ... they may not have the same sense of humor. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>In the client's album, I would probably only include it if the guy was a good friend of the couple. In a sample album, I wouldn't even consider it. There are many reasons for that-the technical issues that others have mentioned above, but also that there is nothing about it that says this is a wedding. I think it's great to show in your album that you capture the fun of the party, but in my sample album, I do that with photos of the bride and groom having a great time with their guests, not a random drunken guest in a goofy outfit.</p>

<p>Usually what we find funny isn't what the bride or groom would want to see in a sample album. They are usually trying to connect to the people in the album or photos. They love to see people having fun or showing any kind of positive emotion. Quirky photos like this one are usually more of a cause for explanation than a moment of connection. I have a folder on my computer called "ridiculous stuff" that I bust out if the bride and groom seem like they'd laugh.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>If you know the people and were there it would be funny. But not knowing the context or the people, it's not as funny to me as it would be to you or his friends. Humor is hard to capture because it is spontaneous. Humor that doesn't offend and is funny in all its context is even harder.</p>