<p>The NEC home page isn't one of the best.</p>

<p>For the LCD3090W, there are 2 variations, QXi-BK and BK-SV. I think BK-SV is identical to QXi-BK except that it includes a SpectaViewII Color Calibration System? The specs are near identical except the BK says 97.8% of Adobe, the BK-SV says 97% (although it has the name 'Professional' vs the BK which is 'Business').</p>

<p>Which is recommended for photo nerds like us?</p>

<p>Thx!</p>

<p>the spectraview is a software that calibrate the monitor itself, not the video card. so yes you want it. Now, if you already a i1d2, you can buy the regular one, and get spectraview via web download for 99$ or so.</p>

<p>If i remember correctly, the NEC 30inch have a in frame calibration device?.. dont have time to go on the web site to read it, but i think i remember that.. maybe Andrew Rodney can comfirm this, he have one.</p>

<p>if you dont have an i1D2, then get the NEC branded version which has a correction matrix/filter for the NEC display (otherwise there will be some error). What's not clear is if you can use the NEC branded i1D2 on *other* displays w/ high accuracy (I'm not talking about the Spectra s/w here). I've heard that the NEC i1D2 has removed the 'CRT' filter and replaced it w/ the NEC. That would mean you could use it for both, vanilla LCDs and an NEC wide-gamut.</p>

<p>I solved the problem by using a Colormunki (which as a spectrometer doesn't have the same issues as a colorimeter) and BasicColor4 s/w which does the same hardware calibration of the NEC panel as the Spectraview s/w</p>

<blockquote>

<p>But with this particular monitor, is it advised to use SpectraView or will i1D2 will do fine?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's advisable to use the NEC branded puck included with the full Spectraview II kit as it is specifically tuned to calibrate NEC's wide gamut monitors. The standard X-Rite iOne Display v2 puck will also work, but I've read that the white point may be off.</p>