First time wedding on my own for family

tim_carlson

<p>This summer I have been asked to shoot a sister-in-law’s (SIL) wedding on my own. Last summer at another wedding with that side of the family, I helped as a second shooter on the periphery with a rented 70-200/2.8 IS and I took portraits before and after while another SIL posed the groups. It was incredibly fun and pretty exhilarating to shoot a wedding and I’m really looking forward to doing another. I feel confident about using my equipment and I’ve been reading a lot of books on wedding photography (such as Marcus Bell’s Master’s Guide to Wedding Photography) and the very valuable posts here in this forum, but I have a few questions that I’d like to get input on.</p>

<p>For particulars about the wedding: It will be in July in the afternoon with about 350-400 people attending, and the ceremony and reception will be outdoors with ~6-8 attendants on each side of the wedding party. I will soon be purchasing either a Canon 60D or 7D for the primary body, using a loaned 50D from one of my other SIL’s for a second body that I could carry with a different lens, and my current XTi body for a worst case backup. For lenses, I have a Sigma 30/1.4, Canon 50/1.8, Canon 10-22/3.5-4.5 and I’m considering purchasing the Canon 85/1.8. I MAY also rent another lens, but am leaning toward sticking with what I’ve got right now. I also have my Canon 430EXII flash available if that is required for anything.</p>

<p>So the questions I have are: </p>

<ol>

<li>From what I’ve been reading, many photographers seem free to move around quietly up front with the goal to be unnoticed/unintrusive. If there are no restrictions from the officiant, what would you consider to be restricted areas around the B&G/officiant/wedding party both from the front and from behind? The specific location will be on a ranch in western Montana with a lot of mountains in the surrounding area. I haven’t visited the site yet (I'm in Michigan), but I can imagine a number of vistas that might be available from any direction and am wondering how best to try and incorporate any of those views. In some ways I can imagine having some nice views of the whole wedding from behind the officiant, but am not sure if this would be good etiquette...</li>

<li>If taking pictures while up front between the wedding party and guests, do you ever stand in or cross the main aisle or do you change sides by going around the back? I wouldn’t hang out up front, but also would want to be effective to get to where I need to be for various shots. </li>

<li>I'll certainly practice how I move around at the rehearsal, but do you have any tips on how to practice before the wedding to get a sense of the flow of a wedding and the timing required for positioning myself for various parts of the ceremony? In some ways I imagine playing the DVD of my own wedding to serve as a timeline and practicting somewhere, but I was wondering if there are any good practice methods that can be recommended. </li>

<li>Does there seem to be anything missing from my collection of lenses? I don’t imagine taking too many photos from a distance, so I’ve been thinking I don’t particularly need to rent a zoom like I did last summer, but would appreciate input if there are any glaring holes in what I’ve got. </li>

</ol>

<p>Thank you all for your input, I love reading the posts here on the forum and I appreciate any insights you all may have. I’m really looking forward putting these things into practice for this upcoming wedding and having fun capturing these moments for my sister-in-law.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If there are no restrictions from the officiant, what would you consider to be restricted areas around the B&G/officiant/wedding party both from the front and from behind?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Level with or behind the Wedding Party Attendants: i.e. NOT between the Wedding party and the B&G.<br>

At the side 8ft to 10 ft apart for the B&G and O. (about a Full Length Shot with a 30mm lens on an APS-C – that give a close perspective if required.)<br>

Behind a little closer, but not more than 6ft approx.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If taking pictures while up front between the wedding party and guests, do you ever stand in or cross the main aisle or do you change sides by going around the back? I wouldn’t hang out up front, but also would want to be effective to get to where I need to be for various shots.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sometimes, but not often. I will crouch as I move across. It would usually be to get a “must have” – like exchanging of rings and the need to be one side, then the other for each of the B&G faces, as an example. If I could move behind I would. 400 people might mean you cannot get to the back quickly enough.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'll certainly practice how I move around at the rehearsal, but do you have any tips on how to practice before the wedding to get a sense of the flow of a wedding and the timing required for positioning myself for various parts of the ceremony? In some ways I imagine playing the DVD of my own wedding to serve as a timeline and practicting somewhere, but I was wondering if there are any good practice methods that can be recommended.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Weddings follow a protocol of Service. The rehearsal (you are blessed – we don’t do that very often here) will give you all the information you need. Take a few notes of HOW this wedding proceeds and write down at each point of interesting photograph where the BEST vantage point will be. BEFORE you go home re write a rough pattern of least movements.<br>

Usually there are only about three positions you really NEED to be – but if you have freedom to move then a slight four or 5 foot either way will be of assistance to you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does there seem to be anything missing from my collection of lenses? I don’t imagine taking too many photos from a distance, so I’ve been thinking I don’t particularly need to rent a zoom like I did last summer, but would appreciate input if there are any glaring holes in what I’ve got.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A second Flash unit.<br>

<br />From what you describe will be the likely rules and possibility to move about your lenses are good to go. And you are familiar with that kit, which is important. I didn’t do wide all that often inside Churches: but considering the pretty landscape picture you paint I would consider the 10 to 22 on one camera and the 30 (or 50) on the other (with the other prim in my pocket).<br>

You should note that your Flash, for Direct Flash Fill Outdoors, will be limited by your shooting distance, you will have only about 12 to 15 ft maximum SD. So that is one reason why I would be using the 30mm, quite often.<br /><br /><br>

The 85 is a wonderful lens. I am not sure how much work it will get considering the outline you have given and my assumption that you seem relaxed working closer in.</p>

<p>WW<br /><br /></p>

<p>For clarity: " I would consider the 10 to 22 on one camera and the 30 (or 50) on the other (with the other prim in my pocket)."</p>

<p>Means that I suggest you consider carrying and using TWO cameras during the ceremony - I would have one Flash, on each.</p>

<p>I believe you have suitable time to adequately master the basic techniques of using two cameras, (rather than swapping lenses on one). </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>1. If there are no restrictions, I still try to be unobtrusive, but if there is something happening and I need to do something I normally wouldn't want to do, I'll do it, but I'll be quick about it and silent. Even if given free rein, I still won't normally:<br>

a) cross behind the officiant (and in front of the altar), one side to the other<br>

b) cross in front of the couple (between the couple and first rows of guests), one side to the other (but sometimes do, as a last resort)<br>

c) park myself anywhere (except for the very back) for longer than a couple of minutes--in front of the parents or first rows of guests, it would be seconds, not minutes<br>

d) block the ring exchange from guests' view, but many times, it is necessary for at least some of the guests<br>

e) stand on the altar behind the officiant, although I have, a few times, stood at his or her elbow, but this is usually upon being invited there and it is maybe a Jewish wedding where if you are to get anything, that's the spot<br>

f) get within about 8 feet (I try for 10) of the couple, unless I am behind the rows of attendants and am told it is OK to be there.</p>

<p>With outdoor weddings, I have sometimes stood facing the guests and taken wide views, but I usually stand quite a bit away from where the couple is standing, and not usually directly behind them, although, if I do that, I take the shot and move away quickly.</p>

<p>2. As above, I go around the back unless I can't do it fast enough. You may sometimes be surprised how logistics change from the rehearsal (where you think you'll have plenty of space) to the actual ceremony, where suddenly, there is no place for you to pass by around the back.</p>

<p>3. As William W. said--go to the rehearsal. In the past, I've made a very detailed list of the actual sequence of events during the ceremony, all at the rehearsal. Once you know what is to happen, you will know where to be and how much time you'll have to get the shots.</p>

<p>In addition, you will have an opportunity to speak to the officiant, and possibly to the venue coordinator. You should ask the officiant exactly what he does not want you to do, and then follow his requests. You should also get specific ceremony shots requested by the couple, if any, which may necessitate doing something you normally would not do. I ask the following:</p>

<p>a) May I use flash? If not, may I use it for the processional, recessional and kiss? If so, exactly when do I stop/start using flash?<br>

b) Where may I stand for the processional? May I come up the aisle at the end of the ceremony to photograph them walking back down (the recessional)?<br>

c) Usually, the officiant will tell you on his/her own, but I'll ask if I can shoot from the sides, fairly close, get on the altar, move around (but silently), etc.<br>

d) Will you keep your robes on so that I can take your photo with the couple or do a few re-creations? If so, I promise it will be the first photo before formals commence.<br>

e) May I go to the balcony (if there is one), and if so, is it unlocked? If not, may I get someone to unlock it?</p>

<p>4. Lenses seem fine, but since focal length choices are dependent upon your personal preferences, I wouldn't have much to say about it unless you were missing a focal length range entirely. You do need two flashes though, and unless everything will happen in even shade, I think you'll need flash for fill.</p>

<p>If you practice moving around, practice doing so quietly. Quiet shoes, no loud colors and/or busy patterns for clothing.</p>

<p>If this is outdoors...Flash for fill depends on what direction they will be facing relative to the sun...if one face is in shadow and the other is facing sunlight, it's a bad situation. Backlighting is great for one direction, but then seated people squint towards the couple and the processional squints on the way up. Front lighting would probably eliminate the need for fill flash.</p>

<p>Definitely ask the officiant what you are allowed to do, flash and movement/position restrictions. I doubt an outdoor wedding will restrict flash. Think reasonably about how close you can get to a b&g without being a distraction to them or the onlookers. Think about mom, who just might give you a dirty look if you do something she thinks is inappropriate (even if the officiant said it was OK).</p>

<p>Ring exchange is hard to get consistently because of the hand tilt and because the bride's ring is put on at an angle best seen from behind, so it is the most frequently "recreated" shot for me.</p>

<p>I don't remember ever practicing movements around the ceremony site...I know where I'm allowed and where I should not be, and I get key shots first and extras if I have time to move to the necessary location. Key shots = rings, kiss, certain other rites.</p>

<p>Similar to my early lens kit, except I had a tamron 28-75 and no sigma 30. Can do everything necessary, so long as you can get close enough. Definitely would have a 580EX, possibly second flash...I only had 1 flash for a very long time myself, and always wished I had 2.</p>

<p>Sounds like you are comfortable and have a good grip on things. 85mm is great tool, I find mine indespensable. Extra flash I think very important/useful, and extra bateries/power packs for everything. As a rule I always avoided crossing the main aisle up front, but being at the rehearsal you will have plenty of insight into positioning and lens selection. Even though it's outside I still would have a camera on a tripod set up. Enjoy your event.</p>

<p>Thank you ALL for your helpful advice, especially on acceptable places to move about, your experiences with the specific instances I noted, and other things that I hadn’t considered. I’ll look into renting an additional flash for the wedding if I can’t come up with funding to purchase one in time.</p>

<p>@William – Yes, I was thinking the same thing about carrying two cameras at the same time, though I appreciate the insight on have the 10-22 and the 30 as the primary lenses and switching out for others as needed. I wasn’t thinking about the 10-22 at this point as a primary lens, but your analysis on the 30 getting a lot of work made me think that I’ll use the 10-22 a lot more than I had originally thought.</p>

<p>@Nadine – Thanks for the additional guidelines on what wouldn’t “normally” be done, even when given free rein. It was very helpful to have input on those kinds of situations because it confirmed what I was thinking about with several of them.</p>

<p>Thanks again everyone for your time commenting on my questions.</p>

<p>Tim</p>

<p>Don't go overboard with wide angle like the 10-22 because you will quickly find people anywhere near the edges of the frame are distorted at wider focal lengths (perspective distortion). I won't do formals wider than 35mm (full frame) unless I absolutely need to, and then never wider than 24mm. And if they are at the 24mm length, lots of side room to minimize distortion of people on either side.</p>

<p>Wide angle can capture lots of scenery, and it can draw lines in toward a more central subject, but it has to be used carefully. Don't put the subjects on the edge of the frame at really wide focal lengths. Don't get too many subjects in one scene so the intended point of interest is competing with everything else. It takes more compositional knowhow to use well.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The 85 on either of those bodies will be a good lens for the ceremony. Another one that you might consider renting is the 200 2.8. That is a good lens for getting the tear that almost always falls during the ceremony. You can rent it for next to nothing. And on those bodies it will be more like a 300mm with no loss of light.<br>

Like someone else said, as soon as you get the procession, and the "overall" shot you can swap lenses and put the wide in your pocket. Then you'll have the 50 on one and the 85 on the other... or the 85 on one and the 200 on the other.</p>

<p>One thing I'd recommend to keep in mind is if you are going to be using equipment or lenses that you aren't familiar with try to use them for a bit before the wedding so you can learn all the little nuances as well as what to expect and how to respond if you run into any issues while shooting.<br>

It's way better to be confused about why a flash is doing something before there is any pressure to get the shot! :)</p>