Minor differences between Leica D-Lux 5 and Panasonic Lumix LX5

roger_s

<p>This isn't a question, rather some observations that other people - intending to buy either the Leica D-Lux 5 or Panasonic Lumix LX5 - might find useful.<br /><br />Before buying the Leica D-Lux 5, I must have read most online reviews I could find, and also lots of comments on discussion threads.<br /><br />When the frequent comment is made that the D-Lux 5 is identical to the LX5, one point that is not emphasised is that the LX5 is a filter thread around its lens barrel that facilities adding accessories such as a cylinder that accepts 52mm filters, which is also used for attaching the Panasonic wide-angle adapter.<br /><br />The Leica D-Lux 5's lens barrel does not have a filter thread and, as such, cannot accept filter attachments or the wide-angle attachment.<br /><br />Minor point, perhaps, but someone out there who's considering these cameras might want to know that.<br /><br />Also, I bought a Hong-Kong made leather case designed for the LX5, and the strap width is too wide for the lugs of the Leica D-Lux 5. Now, I am unsure if that's because the respective lug holes are different, or whether it's because the Hong Kong case manufacturer has lousy design.</p>

<p>p/s the Hong Kong accessory supplier said that the D-Lux 5 is basically the same as LX5. i.e. there is a filter mount ring around the lens and you have to remove the ring in order to mounter lens an adapter. However, on my D-Lux 5 I cannot see any removable ring?</p>

<p><em>...I reviewed the manual first, and even did a digital search for relevant terms ... before I posted my question.</em><br>

You might have mentioned this in your post, then. I wasn't trying to be snarky - plenty of people buy used cameras without manuals and aren't aware that PDFs are free for the download.</p>

<p>The manual refers to item 26 - a lens ring front, but a search of the PDF indicates no further explanation. A retailer subsequently explained that this ring can be twisted anticlockwise to be removed, which reveals the filter thread. This was not self-evident to me since I am loathe to twist portions of a lens unless I am 100% certain that it is meant to be twisted. Problem solved.</p>