photo instruction books in Kindle format

<p>Hard to say. I just purchased the three-volume set of "Scott Kelby's Digital Photography" books for my Kindle and it works just fine, but all I really care about is the text. The photos are just there for decoration. On the other hand, I put the pdf file of an instructional Lightroom eBook on my Kindle and something was lost by not having the color photos the author was referencing. It worked, but not nearly as well. It's the age old "prime vs zoom" dilemma. Do you want performance or convenience? Personally, I would buy the hard copy of a book like that unless I had an iPad or some other tablet to display it on. </p>

<p>IMHO any photography-related book - in other words, any book which relies on a combination of images and text - should be read the way it was designed to be read, in this particular instance in full glorious colour. Yeah, you may "get by" with a B&W version, but it simply won't be the same...</p>

<p>Don't forget you can get a free Kindle reading app for any computer you're also using, and you can open a purchased title on any (and as many!) Kindle platform you own. So you can use the normal Kindle reader as a convenient portable reference, and use your desktop machine (or notebook, or iPad, etc) when you want to support content that requires support for more demanding graphics.</p>

<p> I did a lot of research on this very topic and decided that the image was more important to me and went with an Ipad.<br>

In direct sunlight the kindle is much better for reading, or frankly anything.<br>

The ipad is terrific and i must have about 30 books downloaded at this time, which makes traveling much "lighter" and was one of the reason I decided to move to ebooks.<br>

</p>

<p>I recently purchased the Martin Evening set of books for Photographers using Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3. I have found that the colour and readability on my 27" iMac has been a great experience using the Kindle App for Mac. without colour and the constrained viewing of my Kindle, it would be a disappointment and difficult to read as the illustrations are referenced constantly and hold great import. I also purchased David duChemin's eBooks in Adobe PDF and found the Adobe Reader to be better. the great feature of both formats is that you can now search and use the embedded links.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your comments. I proceeded to get Scott Kelby's LR3 book for Kindle, and it seems fine for my purposes when reading it on the Kindle Reader for Mac - which means the images are in color. I am traveling extensively, and needed a LR3 reference book I could take with me on the road. This fits the bill.</p>

<p>If u travel extensively, like I do, buy an iPAD. All photography books and photography magazines on a device you can read when a laptop won't work (like when the moron in front of u puts his seat back). With highlighting and bookmarks, it's hard to beat. It doesn't work in bright sunshine, but how many times are you reading in bright sunshine? But wait a few months for iPAD 2.</p>

<p>You could root the $250 Nook Color to run the full Android 3.0. Then download the Kindle reader for Android. Less expensive than the iPad. Smaller format (easier to carry, maybe harder to see). I'm seriously considering doing this......or maybe start with the Samsung Galaxy Tab, root it, download new apps not available from the wireless vendors. I believe we're on the cusp of some wondrous new <strong>useful</strong> handheld devices.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/how-to-hack-the-250-nook-color-into-a-full-android-tablet/7630">http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/how-to-hack-the-250-nook-color-into-a-full-android-tablet/7630</a></p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Got FREE software on Amazon to read Kindle Books on a PC or Laptop and read all the books you want, with a full screen. It works great on my 20" HP Laptop. Plus am getting to re-read Free, lots of classics that I read back in the 30's and 40's. Have some of the Photo books, and the print is larger than in the originals. </p>