Digital Ice Software for Nikon - vs. Minolta Elite 5400II

<p>I've had a Minolta Elite 5400II for a few years now and absolutely love it.<br>

I recently bought a Nikon 5000 ED for my Father to scan 1,000's of his 35mm Slides.<br>

----<br>

One thing I noticed is that the Digital Ice Software seems to be very basic in it's setting/functionality compared to the OEM Minolta software.<br>

Questions:<br>

1. Does Digital ICE fully install with the standard installation of the Nikon Scan Software? I've wondered if the icons are there as part of a default, but that possibly I haven't really installed it's Functionality.<br>

2. What are the primary benefits of Digital Ice ?<br>

* I assume it tries to take out Scratches, execute minimal Focus/Exposure correction ?<br>

Will it try and isolate any Dust on the Slide and make a correction? or is the for PhotoShop work only?</p>

<p>many thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<h3 ><a onmousedown="return clk(this.href,'','','','7','','0CGYQFjAG')" href="http://www.photographyblog.com/news/konica_minolta_dimage_scan_elite_5400_ii_film_scanner/"><strong> </strong></a></h3>

<p>Well, Rob...<br>

Here's an extensive test report which most likely will give you all the answers:<br>

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/NikonSuperCoolscan5000ED.html<br>

The test review on the Minolta scanner by Patrick Wagner has not been published in English. But you probably don't need it since you seem to have enough experience with that unit.</p>

<p>The OEM Minolta 5400II software that I used came with Ice3, the version earlier than Ice4...which came with both Nikon 5000 and V.</p>

<p>Nikon is/was obviously a much better-built machine than the last Minolta (II), which although it was as fast did produce larger files did not produce more detail by my tests. 5400II was a good machine when it worked, but I returned two in a row (failed after a few scans) and went with Nikon V. Simply removing the cover of each explained Nikon's advantage, but Nikon's autofocus and manual focus were both more reliable and the film holders were better (though not perfect).</p>

<p>Nikon V takes about 1.5 minutes WITH Ice4, performing equally well as 5000 in all visual respects (seems to me)...with the exception that 5000 does true multipass, of special interest to Velvia enthusists (who have challenges with shadow detail).</p>

<p>Digital ICE is a firmware/hardware function in Nikon scanners. It is based on the use of an infrared sensor. Color film is relatively transparent to infrared, whereas dust and scratches are relatively opaque. This allows Digital ICE to remove these artifacts with hardly any effect on image details. This functionality is accessible in Nikonscan, Silverfast and certain other programs.</p>

<p>Dust removal in Minolta, Xerox and Epson scanners is implemented in software, based on contrast in the visible light region. It must be fine tuned to minimize its effect on image details, usually with limited success.</p>

<p>I have the 5400 I and II and Coolscan 9000. With the Minoltas, ICE is either on or off. There are no options for ICE Regular (speed) or Fine (slower scans, but better dust removal) like the Nikon 9000 has, so I am not sure what you are asking.<br>

I think maybe you are confusing ICE with ROC and GEM (so called ICE Cubed software trio). Nikon also has GEM and ROC, standard in the software.<br>

Note that the Minolta 5400 I had a special diffusion panel in front of the lamp which greatly improved ICE infrared dust removal, and also allows it to work wonders with Kodachrome. my guess is, that is how ICE 4 Professional was developed for scanning kodachromes. The Nikon 9000 uses a "light bar" to diffuse the LED lights, with results similar to Minoltas 5400 I "Grain Dissolver" diffusion panel.</p>