How old is my Rollei 6008i

dennismcarbo

<p >With the introduction of the SL 66 E Rollei started to use coded serial numbers instead of a sequential numbering system. The coded serial number has 9 digits, #004230028 for instance.<br>

The first digit plus "5" (the key) represents the year of manufacture, for example 0+5=5. One has to guess the decade and the century! Knowing that this number belongs to an SL 66 E manufactured between 1982 and 1986, the year of production is 1985.<br>

The digits placed in the second and third place, (in our example "0" and "4") are for the factory internal use and they represent the engineering level of the camera.<br>

The digits in 4th and 5th place minus "20" give the calendar week in the year of production. In our example the digits 4 and 5 are "23". 23 minus 20 is 3, so the camera was manufactured in the third week of 1985.<br>

The digits 6 to 9 stand for the sequential number of a camera built in that week. In our example "0028" means that the camera was the number 28 manufactured in the third week of 1985 with an engineering level of 04.</p>

<p > </p>

<p>Looking at your sn: 001600019, 0+5=5, so your camera was made in 1995 or 2005. We know that production of the 6008i started in April 1995 and it was out of production by 2005 I believe. Taking into account the low engineering level of 01 I would say it is 1995.</p>

<p>60-20=40. Now we are at week 40 in 1995 and it was number 19 that was built that week.</p>

<p>An engineering level lower that 03 means that your camera body will not have a removable film gate. The chrome film gate is fixed with 4 small screws. That implies you cannot use the 4560 film back, because the film gate will have to be removed first. Unless off course the film gate was updated later on.</p>

<p>Ferdi.</p>

<p>I actually do have a removable film gate as I use this with a Digital back and the gate needs to come off for that. Mine just snaps off, no screws - I think all the 6008i had the removable gate though.<br>

Anyone have one with out ? Ferdi Thank you for such a detailed post !</p>