Wedding Consultations

lacy_davillier

<p>Hi There! I'm a photographer in New Orleans, and while I would not necessarily call myself a newcomer to weddings, I haven't been in the business for as long as many others. I'm writing to see if anyone has some tips on the consultation part of the wedding sales process. I do wedding shows in my area and am generally able to get quite a few brides to my studio for wedding consultations. And them comes the problem. <br>

I am very personable and friendly, and I generally do well with selling everything else in my studio - except wedding photography. The consultations are still nerve wrecking two years into them, and although I make connections and have good conversations (I've had other folks sit in, so this is not just my opinion), I still find it extremely hard to close a deal. It almost never happens while they're there, and it very rarely happens after.<br>

I let my clients talk, find out what they need and want, work within that, and take a genuine interest in their lives. I'm not the most expensive photographer in the area but am certainly not the cheapest, so I know that part of my problem is that lots of folks in my area shop based on price. But where else am I going wrong??<br>

Sorry to ramble here, but I'd really love to get some ideas from any folks more seasoned in the industry than myself on how to have a truly successful consultation and how to actually manage to close the deal. Thanks for your input!</p>

<p>Have you ever asked anyone who didn't book, why they didn't book? Not everyone will answer, or answer truthfully, but some will. You can find out quite a lot from those that do.</p>

<p>What else do <strong>you</strong> think it might be, besides price? Without some inkling what some other possibilities are, there is no way we can figure it out.</p>

<p>You might also want to post a link to your website <strong>on your member page</strong>, and direct people to look at your work there. While looking at your work won't definitively tell us what some other possibilities are, it may help.</p>

<p>Also, tell us about your market--those brides and grooms who <strong>did</strong> hire you.</p>

<p>I have thought about asking brides this question. However, I have not had the chance to because things tend to get awkward once they go with someone else because of the good rapport from the consultation. They almost never call to actually say no; they just don't say yes, and I never hear back.<br>

Outside of price, I think it could have to do with the lack of name recognition. My area is relatively small, and people shop a lot based on who they know - I'm only about 2.5 years in, so that recognition is simply not there yet. In addition, my portfolio is not as extensive as some because it has not been that long, and I only have a few books to show thanks to my small business budget. Finally, I think that perhaps my nerves are showing. I'm a photographer first and a business owner second so I wonder if maybe I seem uncomfortable with selling. In addition, I do wonder if maybe I'm too focused on being the couple's friend and not quite focused enough on being a sales person.<br>

Most people who have hired me have been folks with more than one job to do (I'm a full service studio, so that's a seller for folks with multiple children and/or with multiple things going on - the one stop shop angle works well). In addition, I book quite a few on-location brides because of my internet marketing efforts. The common thread is that all of them are people who are not shopping with price being their largest concern because when this is the case, there are simply too many others in the area with second jobs and/or less overhead who can offer a much better price.</p>

<p>One avenue is also to ask the "on-location brides" you have worked with why they are not hiring you for the wedding itself. This would be less awkward than calling the ones how have not called back. <br>

Usually when a bride does a "bridal shoot" (i.e. in full regalia a couple of weeks before the wedding) it is with the photographer who shoots the wedding, most of the time it's part of the price package. Many popular wedding packages include = engagement + bridal + rehearsal (not always) + wedding + album + web gallery + prints.<br>

Unless they want the bridal in New Orleans and the actual wedding is taking place in another state for instance.<br>

All the best to you.</p>

<p>I think that you misunderstood. The on-location folk are people are those who travel here to have the wedding, and they do book me for all services. I've had one person who didn't because the wedding was elsewhere and one who didn't because her future mother-in-law had already paid another photographer (without her input I might add), so she was no longer able to. Thanks for your response. All the best to you as well.</p>

<p>You are now in the *digital age* of photography, and unless you have something very unique to offer, the bride-to-be may be OK with thinking of your photography services, but if a cousin or uncle has a digital camera -- that may be what she chooses to do. In that instance, you have spent time trying and the bride left your studio without buying. You can try to offer a ten or 15 percent discount if the bride puts a deposit on the table before she leaves to shop elsewhere.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I’ve had a look at your website, read mostly everything you’ve written there and also here at PN and looked at nearly all your of pictures.</p>

<p>My two pence: you are an artist and a technician and neither very skilled nor trained in either selling or that much in business either. You have been successful thus far, because of your skill and your artistry and your passion.</p>

<p>I’d bet two Mars Bars that you are happier behind the computer creating, than being face to face; toe to toe; nose to nose, with a Prospect and her Mother asking difficult questions.</p>

<p>And I’ll bet another two Mars Bars that the Brides and Grooms whom you have closed (face to face) are a mirror of you, in so far as they share your general aspirations and passions.</p>

<p>If you want to take it to the next level, then you’ve got to get skilled up in: business sales; and the interpersonal people skills which are required: to listen; to respond; to sell; and to close.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>There's just SO many variables involved during a sale that, to me at least, William's Mars Bars aside, it's impossible to make a useful comment or suggestion. Could it be you're too "hands off" during the meet? Could it be you're exactly the opposite? Could it be you come across as too casual? People have been know to short-sell themselves be being "too friendly" leading to the customer to see them as, somehow, "less". Alternatively, the opposite could be true - you come across as too impersonal and you simply do not connect with the customer.</p>

<p>Seriously, the posibilities are endless and you should experiment with all of them until one works. You should also make mental notes on every single meeting, the good bad points, the points you think worked, the answers you felt worked, the ones which didn't and so on and so forth...</p>

<p>Basic sales techniques, bearing in mind I'm not full time at this but I've never had a face to face that didn't turn into a yes.<br>

If people walk through your door, or you into theirs, you should already be 30 per cent towards selling because they chose to.<br>

1-Be interested, but not too interested. Find out why they stepped through your door in the first place, what drew them in.<br>

2-Begin your pitch with statements, i.e When you hire me I.... not conditionals "If you were to hire me...". Bullet points are useful to make sure you hit all the points of your spiel, but you should be flexible enough to go with the flow of the conversation.<br>

3-Explain the difference. What makes you different, what's your value add. You need to have completed step 1 to have a little idea of how to direct this for each couple.<br>

4-Be flexible, have a range of options to offer, with some leeway built in for negotiations on price/hours etc.<br>

5-If they have questions you can't answer right away, follow up as soon as you can.<br>

6. Maintain eye contact, keep everyone comfortable, avoid getting too technical or jargony.<br>

7. Give them space, if they need a little time to look at your portfolio, packages etc, give it to them, but be available for questions.<br>

If they walk out without signing on the dotted line, this is not a lost sale, this is someone having a think about it. Follow up after a few days, go over the high points of the meeting and push (gently) for a decision. People have busy lives and might just have forgotten you, especially if they visited several photographers, making your follow up contacts a pleasant experience is part of the sales experience for them.<br>

Marios made a good point, write up a post meeting review of each meeting (not just the couples who don't sign, but the ones who do as well). Make sure you are honest with yourself about the things you think went well and the things that did not. Use these reviews along with your bookings to find patterns.<br>

I think you'll find lots of stuff in the archive on the business vs art issue that affects us all!</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses. William, you pretty much have me down pact, and most couples that I have closed share at least a few of my personality traits. I've also closed with everyone who was referred to me by a past client or a business associate. Mario, I do worry that perhaps I'm too friendly or too casual, which has to do with what William said - I have no training whatsoever in business, except for that which I have gained by running one; but I'll definitely try to scale it back because perhaps I am short selling myself with that. I'm just not sure how to do that without coming across as less than genuine.<br>

Duncan, your bullet points are VERY helpful. Previously, I have always spoken in conditionals, and it seems that was wrong. I also tend to get discouraged if they leave and have not signed, especially if they are going to see other photographers - this is again due to the price issue. If they say, "Lacy quoted me this much", that gives the other photog something to go off and offer a better deal. As I mentioned before, a lot of people here shop based on price, so that 3% less can often lose me the sale.<br>

I had found that when my packages were mostly centered around books and prints, I kept having folks who wanted a disk, now that I've changed to a more à la carte structure that includes the disk and where the book can be purchased separately, people seem put off by that. In the digital age, are there any tips on which of these tends to work best or on how to integrate both?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>“I do worry that perhaps <strong><em>I'm too friendly or too casual</em></strong> . . . I have no training whatsoever in business, except for that which I have gained by running one; <strong><em>but I'll definitely try to scale it back</em></strong> because perhaps I am short selling myself with that. I'm just not sure how to do that without coming across as less than genuine.”</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is not definitive. Just as some Brides want a Long Gown with a Train others want a shorter tight fitting Dress – it is the same with how the want to be treated in the sales meeting. People are different. A person trained and practiced in business ADJUSTS to the Customers’ requirements, whilst remaining genuine.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>You could also find someone who is good at sales/business. I never really struggled to close deals when working on my own, but soon after I met my wife, I realised she is a skilled businesswoman, so I ermmm...delegated all my selling to her :) She helped me remodel my pricing and packages and we haven't lost a deal yet. When I meet a client I make sure she's there too and we work a tag-team where I speak about my style and she speaks about the packages. Works every time as we're both in our respective "zones" :)</p>

<p>My significant other is also a skilled sales/business person, and he has helped me out a lot. Problem is that he has his own job and is, thus, not really available to be there in person when I am attempting to close deals. Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I have three of them this week, and I'll definitely keep you all updated with how they go. Hopefully those nerves won't get the best of me.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Wedding photography is very much a referral business, unlike family portrait photography. You mention that you book the referred clients…well there you go! :) You need more referrals. You have to remember that everyone who interviews you is also interviewing several other photographers. And most people avoid pain rather than seek adventure, so when they can't make a decision, they go with the safe choice: the photographer that their friend recommended and used.<br>

So two things: you need to squeeze out every ounce of referral 'juice' you can from previous clients, whether it's former wedding clients, other clients, or even friends/relatives. Keep reminding everyone you know, and have worked with, what you do. Otherwise they forget…it's human nature that people are thinking about themselves, so you have to remind them about you. Even join the local Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club etc, because those are basically referral engines.<br>

The other thing is that you need to stand out. You have to offer something so extraordinary, that a potential client with a solid referral for a different photographer still can't say no to you. Whether it's unique photography, extra special packages, obvious commitment to service not seen anywhere else, you've got to come up with that 'hook' that reels them in. It has to be genuinely valuable, not a gimmick. Put yourself in your client's place. Ask yourself what makes you stand out so completely from the others, that there's simply no question you're the right choice. If you can't find the answer, you need to create something.</p>

• 2 months later...