Looking for my first DSLR

<p>Hi,<br>

I am looking for an entry level DSLR, my first one, and I am quite hesitating about the one that would be a best choice for me.</p>

<p>I am not new to photography. In fact, a few years ago, I used to shoot regularly and print some B&W photos. Mainly family photos but also some street and landscape.</p>

<p>I still have a Nikon F90x, a Nikon F65 and some D, G and E series lenses (nothing very expensive, but the 100mm series E is an excellent performer). I had to put photography away because I didn’t have enough time but this year things have changed. And now I have time again. And I am for a new camera but within a budget (less than 600€) and with video mode.</p>

<p>My first look was at the new Nikon D3100 (~550€ with 18-55 VR). I. I know that I can’t use my lenses on it. Well, I can but I would lose AF with the D and G lenses, and that I would have no meter with the E lenses.</p>

<p>I could buy a Canon 1100D (~520€ with 18-55 EF-S) and with an adapter use my Nikon lenses the same way the D3100, but I would have meter with E series.</p>

<p>Or I could look for a camera within that budget, like a Pentax K-x (it’s 2 years older, I know), with a 2 lenses kit (DA-L 18-55mm & DA-L 50-200mm = ~560€) and I would have, at least, a starting kit. Sony a390 and Olympus E-620 are out because they offer no video.</p>

<p>What should I pick (or what would you pick)?:</p>

<p>- a Nikon D3100 (or Canon 1100D) with a kit lens and the possibility to use with restrictions some lenses that I already have</p>

<p>or</p>

<p>- an older camera model, in this case a Pentax K-x with 2 kit lenses for the same price</p>

<p>Best regards and thanks in advance,</p>

<p>Nuno Campos</p>

<p>Actually neither. Within your budget - probably the D90. Works with your D and G lenses but won't meter with the Series E. Or a D200 - which would meter with it - if that's important to you (guessing and correcting is often less a problem than imagined - it depends on what is being photographed). Best: save up some and get the D7000.</p>

<p>I would choose between the d200, d90 and d7000 depending on your budget and needs.</p>

<p>In the US, the prices are ~$500 used , ~$700 used, ~$1200 new respectively. The d200 meters with MF nikon lenses such as the "E" while the d90 doesn't. The d90 has rudimentary video and slight IQ advantage over the d200. The d7000 does have metering with older nikon lenses, better AF plus updated video mode among other things...</p>

<p>With landscape and family stuff, you may go w/o metering but for street stuff, I would want metering. I would choose the d200 or d7000 myself depend on the budget...</p>

<p>It seems to me that it is silly to put old glass on a new body and loose the advantages of automation of the new body, unless you like working manually. On the other hand your existing lens will have a narrower angle of view on the new camera so perhaps it makes sense to buy a body with a wider angle general purpose lens for most of your shots and then occassionally you use your old lens ... this is sort of what I have ended up with my DSLR .. a general purpose automatic 3o<80mm lens from a 'film' EOS camera and my older Pentax lens, all with their EOS to M42 adaptor rings. Being Nikon your options could be similar but different.. But I do have a top of the line prosumer [bridge] for most of my photography so our positions are quite different I guess. DSLRs are a way to spend an aweful lot of money.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the answers. For now, the D7000 is out of my budget. And a new D90 also.</p>

<p>If I was talking about film, a used semi-pro body would be the answer. With digital I really do not know if used is good route. I guess I could buy a used D200 or D90 but in digital I prefer new, because of the warranty. And from what I have read (I can be wrong) a current low end DSLR can outperform a mid-range body some generations back.</p>

<p>And I really do not know if my lenses justify buying a new body just for use them (I have a 28-80mm f/3.5 - 5.6 AF-D; a 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF; and 3 E-series [28mm f/2.8; 50mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2.8]), instead of starting a new DX AF-S system. <br>

If so, with the price of a new D7000 (money that I do not have right now...) I can buy a D3100 with the DX AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-4.6G VR and after that maybe 2 more lenses (DX AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR + DX AF-S 35mm f/1.8G come to my mind) during next months or years. </p>

<p>Take a look at nikonusa.com and check out all the lenses that you cannot autofocus with on a non-motorized body, all those not AF-S. It is not just about the lenses that you have now but the ones you may want to use in the future. A used D90, D200, D300 or D2X can allow growth in your photographic needs. </p>

<p>Your budget pretty much limits you to an entry level camera. The good thing is that even though today's entry level cameras lack some of the bells and whistles of their big brothers and sisters, they are capable of outstanding photos. My D3100 has as good or better image quality as my D90. In fact, I prefer it over my D90.</p>

<p>I would read up on the entry level cameras by Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Sony. Then go to a store where you can handle them. Base you decision on how it feels in your hands, how you like the controls, and its features. They are all good, so don't worry that you will make a bad choice.</p>

<p>There are more differences in film and digital lenses than just the mount. Today's lenses are made specifically for digital sensors, they have special coatings and are designed to compensate for some of the visual abberations specific to digital. Also your current lenses were designed to capture an image on 35mm film... unless you have a full frame sensor the lens will not perform as designed.<br>

So with that in mind, I'd keep the Nikon and the lenses, and start from scratch digital. If you like Nikon stick with it... I shot a Minolta 35mm and now shoot Canon digital. In my opinion, for an entry level camera, the T1i is a great inexpensive camera. Now that the T3 is available(?) the t1i and t2i are cheap, I found a new t1i (body only) for $550 just now. That leaves a few bucks in the budget for better lenses. The entry level package lenses are fairly junky, they work, just not well. Mid-level and professional, you could take your pick; nikon, canon, sony, pentax. They are all good. Find one that feels "right". And if they are bundled, it is typically with a good lens. Or heck, get a leica. ooh, or a hasselblad. You could just take $2500 cash... close your eyes and walk into a camera store holding it out in front of you and see what you come out with.<br>

Set your mind free from trying to match lenses and find adapters... start with your budget and find a camera you like that fits it... you will likely be happy with anything you purchase.<br>

Good Luck</p>