Chamonix 045n-2 vs Toyo 45aII

tam_s_b_lcsv_lgyi1

<p>I am considering to buy a 4x5 field camera and after a month of Internet search and review reading I ended up with two readily available possibilities: buy a used Toyo 45aII nearby my place or order a new Chamonix 045.<br>

Right now it seems to be a very simple (but hard to decide) trade off for me: price vs weight - assuming that both cameras are more or less equally suitable for landscape photography. Toyo: double weight, Chamonix: double price (if I am not lucky to avoid paying VAT and other taxes).<br>

I do not want to start here a new "best field camera ever" debate. My only question is if there are some other special strengths or weaknesses of the above cameras (especially compared to the other one) which ones worth to be considered.<br>

I have some experiences with LF having a Toyo view monorail and using lenses from 90 to 300mm. <br>

Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>I have no experience of the Toyo, but I've used a 'loaner' Chaminox 045-1 and purchased a 045-2. I backpacked with both and have found them a delight to use -- easy to set up, controls carefully designed for use, beautifully-made, and the Chaminox people have been a delight to deal with. While backpacking in the Southwest, the 'loaner' went crashing into the gravel -- every LF-user's nightmare. I shipped it back to the factory in China for repair and received it back in like-new condition in a little over a week -- at a very reasonable repair cost! It doesn't get much better than that. My 'other' camera is a British-made MPP VII (a Linhof IV look-alike). In comparison the MPP is clunky, difficult to adjust in use, and it is a brick to carry. If you have more specific questions about the 045-2, I'll do my best to answer.</p>

<p>For me it would boil down to weight versus rigidity. If weight is of <strong>primary</strong> concern then a wood 4x5 camera would be preferable. On the other hand, if rigidity is more important, no wooden camera ever made comes close to the 45AII.</p>

<p>Personally, I prefer metal cameras. I have a Chamonix 5x8, which is a fine camera, though it has it's shortcomings... I wish the rear standard would zero to detents, and that some sort of infinity stops could be employed. Net, net, it takes a lot longer to set up the Chamonix than the Toyo.</p>

<p>Yes, rigidity. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to have a Chamonix in my hands. Do you feel that its level of rigidity would easily compromise image quality in real life conditions (sure, 100mph wind with dark clothes on could be a problem :-) ), considering also its smaller size (4x5) and the relatively low weight of my lenses (90/6.8 Rodenstock is the heaviest)?<br>

Based on the photos i've seen the carbon fibre plates themselves could easily handle hundreds of kilograms of load - contrary to any pressed metal or machined aluminium in the given size. If the modulus of CF (more precisely CRP) was properly chosen its stiffness has to be comparable with steel. <br>

But this is just theory. BTW has anybody any info about CF used? Good quality CF is very expensive and it is quite often replaced by black fiberglass covered with a single layer of carbon. And CF is very UV sensitive without proper protection. If too flexible CRP was chosen it will vibrate...Or am I worrying too much?</p>

<p>Yes, I think that you are worrying too much! If you really want to make LF images in unfavorable conditions, you might do as Paul Wainwright did to photograph atop Mt. Washington in winter. Download his "Using a View Camera at the Home of the World's Worst Weather" from http://www.paulwainwrightphotography.com/biblio_by_me.shtml. By the way, his camera is a wooden classic.</p>

<p>I have no experience of the Chamonix but I have owned and used a Toyo 45A II L and am considering getting another as my 'grab shot' camera.<br>

I found it convenient in the field, strong and simple in opening & closing, and accurate in alignment when set to the zero detents.<br>

My 'normal' 4x5 is a Sinar P2 and so you see where I am coming from in praising the weight/strength ratio of the Toyo. That said, the range of movements on the Toyo can prove restrictive - particularly lateral shift and swing.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Walter</p>