Any Problem taking a Nikon 5000 ED through Airport Scanner?

<p>Hello,<br>

After a long, frustrating and arduous journey - I finally secured a Nikon CoolScan 5000 Ed, so that my father can scan all of his old 35mm slides.<br>

He is flying into London today, off to Israel for a holiday and then back to the US.<br>

I was just going to give him the Scanner + Software and have him carry as Carry on Luggage ( to avoid it being knocked about.<br>

Any problems with this?? i.e. could any damage occur as it goes through the x-ray machine(s)<br>

**and then there is the question of what Israeli airport security will think about this device!?<br>

Many Thanks,</p>

<p>Why not just "show it to him as a gift" and then ship it home to him when he gets home. That would seem to make way more sense, and he would not have to deal with the hassle of security, carrying it and risking damage. He's not gonna USE it on his vacation right? Maybe leave it up to him since it's not that large (3"x6"x12").</p>

<p>Airport x-rays will not hurt it. However, it is a precision optical instrument and should be treated gently. If it was mine, I would carry it on; after I padded it well with bubble wrap. And I would make some professional looking labels that say "Precision Optical Instrument, Handle with Care" and tape them on the outside.</p>

<p>Read the manual, but as I remember it you supposed to</p>

<ol>

<li>turn the scanner on</li>

<li>Remove the adapter which ever you have in slide, negative</li>

<li>let the unit do its thing, click whirl whatever</li>

<li>turn off the power</li>

<li>then reinsert adapter, I would suggest slide for travel</li>

<li>This locks the device for transport</li>

</ol>

<p>This is described in the paper manual, but not in a real obvious place. You will have to find it as its been awhile since I read it.<br /> Good luck</p>

• 2 weeks later...