The "Kit Lens" zoom

johnw63

<p>John,<br>

Only the 18-55, of all mentioned lenses, does not have the manual focus override.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What happens if I give the lens a twist and it's NOT an override lens and in the wrong mode ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Luckily the manual focus ring of the 18-55 is so extremely tiny that this risk is near zero ;-)</p>

<p>More thoughts on the same subject.</p>

<p>Many of the reviews have things to say about the performance at 18mm. Since I'll be using this lens to replicate my 24mm field of view, which one performs the best AT 18mm ? I know my best bey MAY be to get a wider zoom that has the 18mm range not at the extreme end. Tokina 12-24mm, maybe ? At under 200 bucks, the Nikon 18-70 with metal construction and dust seals has my eye, but the "complex distortion at 18mm " is a put off. Will my landscape shots reveal that ?</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I have the 18-70. I have taken hundreds of real estate photos at 18mm and have always been satisfied with IQ. This lens and the 80-400vr are the two lens that go on vacation with me. I am happy with my landscape shots at 18mm. I have no experience with the 12-24 but recently purchased the Tokina 11-16 as an ultra wide for interior real estate. I am very impressed with the build quality and IQ of the Tokina. The tokina is not AFS if that matters. If you need the range of 18-70 get the Nikon. If you want the ability of an ultra wide at 12mm ,don't need above 24mm and AFS is not important get the Tokina.</p>