Walking in Ethiopia - K5 and Lens advice

william_burn

<p>Hi,<br>

Firstly, thank you for the tips on getting the shutter release working on my old K200d. However, as the Germans might say, the question has taken care of itself, because I've been asked to accompany a three week expedition to Ethiopia this summer, which is, of course, a great justification to trade up to the K5.<br>

I've got a couple of questions, though.<br>

Battery life: how many shots do people get off a single charge of the normal battery, and how long does it hold its charge for. I'll almost certainly get the battery grip to go with it: how well do Eneloops hold out in that?<br>

Memory cards: I'll be shooting stills 99% of the time but would like to experiment with video. How much storage does, say, 30 mins video require at full HD resolution?<br>

Lenses: I already own a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, but I'm very interested in the new 18-135, not only for the useful extra telephoto range, but mainly for the environmental sealing. Has anyone used this lens yet, and would they recommend it? Does anyone have any alternatives? I'd most likely take this lens only, possibly with my DA 70 Ltd for portrait work.<br>

I'll be taking a tripod with me, with a small selection of filters - ND grad, mostly, and a polarizer.<br>

Any advice will of course be gratefully received!<br>

Thanks,</p>

<p>Wil</p>

<p>I know nothing to suggest to you for a trip like this, except to offer that if you think you'll be away from recharging power for long periods, maybe stock up on Energizer lithium single-use batteries. They have long shelf life and use life and are light weight so a bundle of them wouldn't weigh you down.</p>

<p>Or, consider a portable solar power supply to run your charger, and yes, for rechargables get Eneloops, which have a very long shelf life, especially when recharged by a smart charger.</p>

<p>The BG-4 battery grip is a must for this trip. You may find it much easier to buy AA batteries than find an outlet to plug a charger into. Sure, bring Eneloops, since the charge you put in them here will still be in them when you get there. You can also charge them opportunistically, and they will hold the charge.</p>

<p>I agree with the above.</p>

<p>I'm sure a solar charger will work in this region, but you have to be able to dedicate several hours a day to charging. I know several friends of mine have done trekking expeditions to Nepal, and they have often almost killed photographers who hold the group up while charging.</p>

<p>Bottom line, get the BG-4 grip, and take a 16 pack or so of AA Lithiums. My guess is that should be good for 6,000-7,000 images or more!</p>

<p>Pentax was kind enough to finally offer a hybrid battery system with the grip. For most people this is never needed and a waste of money when a second or 3rd DLi-90 would probably suffice , but if you are traveling off the grid for extended periods and shooting/moving a lot this is exactly what the AA option was designed for!</p>

<p>People rave about enloops, but Lithiums are light and they simply work. Enloops can go bad, the charger might break, ect. Just buy 16 Lithiums and take a few Dli-90s and your charger.</p>

<p>Video and live view eat battery. So plan accordingly. My experience with the K-7 was that it didn't get great battery life (worse than the K10D/K20D) which was AMAZING but a lot of that had to do with the additional features and perhaps early firmware, or batteries that weren't yet broken in (just a guess).The K-5 probably improved that, but I wouldn't think it will do more than about 700 shots in real world shooting. Anyone have better real world figures?</p>

<p>I seem to be getting about 500 shots per charge now on average which is still worse than the 700 I was getting with the K10D, I think a set of Lithiums should give 2-3 times that. I know with my ist D I was getting 2000 shots from 8 Lithiums! I'd think the K-5 should be better depending on amount of live view!</p>

<p>No other advice, your kit sounds good. The 18-135mm looks excellent better than the kit, not as good as the shorter f/4 zooms. Good for what it is.</p>

<p>The only humble offering I could add to the sage advice you've already had is to prepare for the environment. I haven't been to Ethiopia but I gather, from talking to some of the refugees here in South Australia, that conditions are quite similar to the Outback in places. So prepare for very fine dust that seeps into everything like water. A bag or pack with an ordinary zip won't be enough protection. Consider lots of ziplock bags for your gear and gel packs for humidity/condensation. Also think about how (or whether and in what) you might safely change lenses in dusty conditions and do a bit of practise before you go. If you can afford the weather-sealed lens options I'd go for those (so yes, the 18-135 could be a good choice). You're likely to encounter some wide, flat, empty landscapes so you might want to pack something a little wider than 18mm.<br>

All the very best. What a fantastic adventure! Post some pics when you get back.</p>

<p>Concur that single-use AA Lithium batteries are the best choice. Incredible energy density, perfect shelf-life. Even if you use them all up, anywhere there's a little store, you can probably buy some AA batteries. <br>

I'd say don't even bring the Li-Ion rechargeable batteries and charger. Just dead weight in this context.<br>

Only other thing to add is a backup camera -- a point-and-shoot that takes AA batteries as well. The dust may be too much for even Pentax's weather sealing.</p>

<p>How about a longer lens. Ethiopia has some fantastic endemic wildlife. I presume you will be in the Simiens and Bale mountains. Simien wolves and Gelada baboons are only found in those regions. I was in Ethiopia 10 years ago. It is a fascinating country with the most amazing scenery. The churches and monasteries are also worth visiting. All my photos are on print, so sadly I can't share any at the moment!</p>

<p>you arent going to be finding batteries of any kind in rural ethiopia - as far as lens go, you have something nice for getting in close to people - your 70 covers portraits - maybe pick up that 55-300 - its is a great cheap lens.<br>

a have some off brand batteries for such trips - if you'll be in vans or land rovers, you can get a charger that goes in the cigarette lighter - </p>

<p>Thank you all for the advice! I've just ordered the K5 body & grip, and will get the 18-135 nearer the time. I shall stock up on loads of AA lithiums, which is an excellent idea, and I shall do my best to prepare myself for the dust. I like to use <a href="http://www.trespass.co.uk/product/accessories-6/luggage-and-bags-19/luggage-accessories-286/deflect-UUACBAD30005">those fold-over waterproof bags</a> when walking in this country, as they keep everything away, so may well take a few more of those with me. I'm not yet sure about taking a longer lens: the expedition is supported, but there won't be room for me to take my full bag. I will, however, bear the point in mind, as it would be a great shame to miss interesting things. I'm not much of a wildlife shooter, anyhow: I'm so big and clumsy everything runs away when I get near it. Rocks I prefer, and large expanses of water.<br>

And lastly, thank you David for posting the picture; I can't wait to get out there! I'll be sure to put some picture up when I get back.<br>

Thank you all again, and please do offer any other advice you think of. It's incredibly helpful here.</p>