Macro Ring Flash - Opteka, Cobra LED

subha

<p>I am looking into Macro Ring Flash by Opteka and other 3rd party manufacturers. <br /> My lens is: Sigma HG 17-70mm f2.8-f4.5 1:27 mag. I am using Opteka extension tubes. I have captured this little fella who flew into our kitchen here in Southern India. I used the built in flash. I did try the shoemount flash : 420EX and I saw shadows. <br /> My lens thread filter size is 72mm. And I would like to also use my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM whose filter size is 77mm.<br /> However most of these sell adaptor rings upto 67mm and say they sell 72mm/77mm separately.</p>

<p>here is my question. Will it make a big difference with Macro flash ring? <br /> And how do I get the 72mm adaptor ring from places like Amazon or eBay?</p>

<p>Advice and ideas?<br /> Subha</p>

Subha make sure that you get a flash not "ring light". If interested in Opteka

RL 600 flash, see also ...

Opteka rl_600 flash gun on Tamron 90 #1

Without an adapter, you won't be able to mount the flash on lens; otherwise it would be cumbersome managing flash & camera, each in each hand.

I must be missing something in understanding "And how do I get the 72mm adaptor ring from places like Amazon or eBay?" properly, for I would think that one would just order one which would arrive by mail|courier service.

You could acquire a sync cable (the kind which has one end that goes over the camera hot shoe, in case of lacking suitable ports) for your "420 EX" flash (is it a Canon flash?). Then place the flash to properly illuminate the subject. BTW, does your camera and/or flash lack wireless capability (the setting where camera built in flash would control|fire another compatible flash without needing anything else)?

• 4 months later...
<p>Hello, I have recently purchased the macro ring light (Neewer brand) from amazon.com. But the adapters that came with it will not fit my macro lens. I have a Sigma 150mm f2.8 lens which has a 72mm lens filter size. (The largest adapter that came with it is 67mm). So I purchased the Sigma macro ring flash adapter (72mm) thinking it would work. No luck. Anybody knows a way to work around this? Thanks for your help.</p>

Forgot to add to make sure that the ring can physically accommodate 72 mm adapter.

Regardless of that, I doubt that a simple filter adapter would work as I had suggested previously. So please ignore both of my replies.