Hand held Vs. Tripod

joe_fertitta

The manner in which you release the shutter is important too. Early on, Leica and the Nikon F were noted for their soft release, free of "staging" or roughness. At the opposite end of the spectrum, we have the Hasselblad V. Leicas and the professional Nikons also have a lip around the shutter release you could use to roll your finger onto the release without disturbing your grip on the camera.

Everybody is a steadier shot (cameras and firearms), better golfer and catches larger fish when discussing it over a few drinks or on the internet. If you want a graphic illustration of shake, try precision rifle shooting. Muscles oscillate at low frequency (3-5 Hz) under tension, breathing and even heartbeats are important. Your heartbeat alone will pull the point of aim out of the X ring, so you time your shot between heartbeats. You don't hold your breath, because that makes your heart beat faster. Good photographers use many of the same techniques, often intuitively. Others poke at the shutter and wonder why shots are blurry.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a graphic illustration of shake, try precision rifle shooting. Muscles oscillate at low frequency (3-5 Hz) under tension, breathing and even heartbeats are important.

I have never done precision rifle shooting, but have ATTEMPTED NRA Bullseye handgun shooting.

I bought an S&W Model 14 from an old Bullseye shooter, and I actually to replace the trigger rebound spring in it because I inadvertently fired it more than once when lining up the sights on a shot(slow fire 50 yards). The spring I took out was around 12lbs, and gave a single action pull of right at 1lb. I put a 14lb spring in(lighter than the factory 16lb). That didn't affect the crispness of the pull, but did give what was-for me-a more manageable 2lb pull. When I attempt Bullseye now, I use an S&W 52(semi-auto 38 special wadcutter gun) for the centerfire slow fire and rapid fire. It has its factory springs and is also right at 2lbs.

When it comes to cameras, one of the things I've always appreciated about the Canon New F-1 is how light the shutter button is. You don't notice it until you fire the camera without a battery in it :) . Of course, virtually all modern cameras have minimal travel and are designed for you to easily "roll" your finger onto the release. On the MF front, I'm often pleasantly surprised at how light the release is on the RB67 as well as how minimal the amount of mirror shake is.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so I understand you get a steadier hand held shot with a leaf shutter camera than with a rear one... looks like your cameras "recoil" too much...

I see. We have to trust all your statements, even if they are against rationality. Otherwise, we are wrong.

My statements are perfectly rational Jose. I stress that these are my experiences - yours may be rather different. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.