What to do next (after the first meeting)??.....

mark_c4

<p>Hi,<br>

I have just had my first meeting with a couple about their wedding day. They were with me for around 30 minutes and I showed them examples of my work and a couple of sample albums.<br>

The couple however have said that they will be making their decision on their photographer in the next couple of weeks so I left them with a my packages, booking form and a contract.<br>

What I was wondering now is should I send them an email just letting them know how nice it was to meet them and that I would be happy to shoot their wedding and details of how to secure their date. Or should I just leave it and see if they call me back?<br>

Thanks<br>

Mark.</p>

<p>The professional thing to do is to follow-up with the couple. Even if you suspect that the meeting didn't go well (30 minutes is a pretty short meeting in my experience), you should always send some sort of courtesy follow-up. I don't know if you're doing this as a business or hobby, but cultivating leads and turning them into booked clients requires a level of effort and commitment on your part. The couple is lead until I hear otherwise, and if I waited around for leads to contact me, I'd be out of business pretty quickly. Also, prospective clients like to see that you have a genuine interest in their business.</p>

<p>After the first meeting I usually send something along the lines of, "It was a pleasure to meet you . . . (yada, yada) . . . please don't hesitate to contact me should you have any additional questions, and I look forward to hearing from you". After that I send periodic communication until I either book the couple, or get word that they booked with someone else.</p>

<p>I usually wait about a week and then send a note saying something like, "Thanks again for meeting with me last week, it was very nice to meet you both. I just wanted to touch base with you and see if you had any follow up questions that arose from our meeting. If you would like to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to ask".....something along those lines...But I agree you should send something. Good luck, let us know!</p>

I've said this many times. If you have the phone number - call. I hate doing business when you are talking about someone's marriage and lots of money is involved. I book just about all of my clients this way and I hardly ever miss out in shooting someone's wedding.

<p>Yea I have their number Bob. I just thought that because they said to me they are making their decision in the next couple of weeks I didn't know whether to contact them straight after the meeting. How long after the meeting would you call?<br>

I would also like to know if anyone would be so kind enough to tell me what kind of structure they have to their client meetings? Do you have a set process in your mind of all the things you need to go through and what sort of things do you chat about, how much detail do you go into even if you haven't got the booking just yet? and so on.....</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I think you should contact them. You can angle it along the lines of 'great to meet you, do you have any questions' because these often arise only when comparing photographer packages.<br>

The choice is e-mail or phone call. If you think you have a relaxed telephone manner then a phone call would be better but if you are tense or hesitant this can come across as awkward over the phone - aim to be short, polite and helpful and see where it goes. An advantage of e-mail is that you can summarise your discussions because it can be easy for the couple to miss an aspect of your service you think adds value.</p>

Mark, I always call clients maybe 1 to 3 days later. Keep the conversation light. Ask them if they have any questions, do they need any referrals for a DJ, flowers, the cake, a video guy, things like that.

Good luck, hope you get the job! Let us know how you make out.

<p>Mark, from my experience (admittedly not as long as some here :)) 30 minutes is not necessarily too short. If they had seen your work, then the meeting could just be their way of satisfying themselves that:<br>

1. you actually exist ;-)<br>

and<br>

2. they can work with your personality/style</p>

• 2 months later...