Closing 24mm PC-E aperture on non-Nikon body?

paul_ong1

<p >Hi,</p>

<p>I am experimenting with using the 24mm PC-E on a Sony NEX 5 body. (I am mainly a Nikon person, but the NEX has some useful features.) I want to shot at f/5.6 or f/8 with the PC-E, but the aperture appears to be electronically controlled. I know that I can set the f-stop with the manual ring, and there is a button that activates an electrical-mechanical device that close down the aperture for DOF preview. However, the adapter does not have any electrical contacts, so no power is being fed to the lens.</p>

<p>Does anyone know of a way to close it down manually? Or how to feed power to the lens?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>The PC-e lenses have an electro-magnetic aperture control, thats what the "e" stands for. So your only hope is to find some kind of adapter ring that simulates the connection of a D300/700/D3 camera. <br>

I'm not familiar enough with a Sony mount but I would bet it would be a really tough project to try to put contacts on the adapter yourself.</p>

<p>No, it won't. The stop-down feature needs a powered-up lens in order to function.</p>

<p>To be precise, without power, the aperture is held at its last stopped-down position. So, if you mount the lens on a camera which can supply power, set aperture to the value you wish, stop down the lens, then remove it and attach the lens to the Sony, you would have a stopped-down "E" lens. But no further change of aperture would be possible, unless you repeated the whole cycle again. Hardly practical :)</p>

<p>Jared, thanks. You confirmed what I suspected, that is, the aperture requires electrical power. Understandable since a mechanical link would be very difficult given the shift and tilt. I have not seen any adapter with electrical connections. Yes, a tough and probably a nearly impossible project. But, not willing to give up just yet.</p>

<p>Dan, unfortunately, neither the aperture ring nor the button steps down the aperture. Tried both initially, but neither work. As Jared mentioned, the "E" denotes electromagnetic. Perhaps I am missing something. If so, can you give me more details.</p>

<p>Tried looking for an electrical diagram for the PC-E, but no luck so far. Does anyone have one, or know which of the connection supplies the power and the voltage.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>