NYC in winter

hfd4177

Hello all. I'm looking for some advice. I am going to NYC this weekend and I would love some ideas of what to shoot. One spot I

would like to shoot is the Brooklyn bridge and the Dumbo area but with all the snow and ice in the river I'll wait until spring. I'm

thinking grand central terminal, top of the rock and maybe the flat iron building. What are your ideas for photographing I would like to

avoid the snow and ice on the ground in my shots so they don't appear to seasonal. I'm also curious about monopod use. I know

tripod use is frowned on pretty much everywhere but how about mobilize in the top of the rock and other places?

<p>New York is just in the process of experiencing the snowiest January on record - I seriously doubt you're going to avoid seeing ice and snow - you'll find it everywhere. It's on any flat surface on buildings, it's on the sidewalks and streets and snow and ice covers the parks quite nicely right now. I'd go with the idea that you are shooting the city in winter - it's really quite nice once you stand back and look at it.</p>

<p>Not sure why you would write off Dumbo? Ice and snow in the river? The NYC rivers seldom freeze entirely (certainly aren't at the moment) and I would not that stop me from shooting from Dumbo regardless. The classic Dumbo shot is down cobblestoned Adam's street through the Manhattan Bridge's Brooklyn tower arch to include the Empire State Building. Then walk down to the end and turn left on Plymouth and into Emprie Fulton Park for views of Manhattan skyline and the brooklyn Bridge. <br>

It will not matter at all that there is snow on the streets. The views are spectacular, whatever the weather conditions.</p>

<p>Ditto Central Park. Some of the most iconic Central Park landscapes have been shot with snow on the ground. Google Bow Bridge in winter to see.</p>

<p>Steiglitz's and Steichen's most famous shots of the Flatiron building were taken in inclement weather.</p>

<p>Brian: First you have a great blog. Really nice children, portraits and wedding. Question I have about your visit. You didn't say what you want to shoot when you get here. Will you be shooting people with NYC in the background or are you looking for typical NYC travel shots of the bldgs, bridges and stuff? Why don't you flesh out what you want to shoot. Alan</p>

<p>Snow removal equipment. People jumping over puddles and snow banks at street corners. People and horses breathing steam. Taxis getting stuck. Early winter sunsets. Brightly-colored snowsuits. The funny 'animal' hats that children are wearing this year. Grand Central Station's main lobby (do NOT photograph the tracks or the trains). Dogs wearing sweaters.</p>

<p>I'm sure you'll figure something out.</p>

Thanks everyone especially Alan for the kind words about my blog and website. I did Brooklyn bridge dumbo and grand central

terminal this morning. Only downfall was Brooklyn bridge in the middle when viewed from the park is covered with a tarp and

Washington street near Dumbo all the cobblestone on Washington is being torn up. Lots of construction. I'll post pics when I get home

and please keep the ideas going. Would like to photograph buildings and landmarks.

<p>Wife and I were in NYC last weekend. Brr - it was cold! </p>

<p>Snow disappears pretty rapidly in mid-town - combination of effective snow removal and the fact that there are so many utilities underground that the ground is warm enough to melt snowfall pretty quickly.<br>

Top of the Rock is great for photography. A tripod won't be very helpful - there are some narrow gaps between the large glass barriers, and to avoid distortion you will want to get your lens as close as possible to shoot through those gaps. If the weather cooperates, the views are fabulous.<br>

Flatiron building is a great shot, and since there is a park right in front of the building, you would have no problem at all using a tripod. The only concern with tripods is if you block the sidewalk.<br>

For people pictures, I suggest the area around and a few blocks north of Canal Street. The area is generally mobbed, and there are all kinds of interesting things to see and photograph.<br>

I've been intrigued with the idea of doing a walk around NYC photographing churches. There are some really beautiful buildings. The key is to avoid crowds, and be aware that some churches are undergoing renovation and the interiors are temporarily cluttered with scaffolding.</p>

Currently in New York and enjoying getting photos of the snow - in Central Park and on the streets (snow-blowers,

plows, covered cars and embedded bicycles).

Just got back from Top of the Rock, went up around 4pm to take some general shots then waited for the light to go

down to shoot the lit-up buildings. I thought there were restrictions on tripod use and so didn't take one along but

there were one or two photographers there with tripods including a really dedicated film shooter who was using a Fuji

6x17 with 105 mm lens - he was shooting one minute exposures with Velvia.

You cannot avoid the snow as it is snowing at the moment.

Enjoy

<p>I've seen security guards at Top of the Rock tell people to put their tripods away. Either the guards didn't see these folks, or these photographers had secured special permission to shoot there.</p>

<p>There's an upper level at Top of the Rock where you don't have to deal with the panes of plexiglass, but that level might not be open in the winter. I have taken fairly good night shots with a camera stabilized on sections of the concrete perimeter walls.</p>

<p>Superb images Brian, Grand Central wasn't that empty when I was there as they were shooting the remake of the film Arthur - there were power cables everywhere.<br>

The upper level of Top of the Rock was open, and it was cold. The Security Guards did not seem at all bothered by people using tripods, maybe it was due to the fact that there weren't many of us there. I was surprised to see people using tripods as I understood they were not allowed and you have to go through security scanners to go up to the Top of the Rock so there was plenty of opportunity to prevent people taking them up. I wasn't very impressed with the "professional" photographer taking group pictures at the top - he was using flash against the glass!</p>

Thanks everyone. Empty was easy. When I got there I told everyone to get out Im a photographer with important

work to do and they all left. Actually it was even easier than that. I got there at about 6 am on Sat morning. The

place was empty except for a film crew setting up to film an AT&T commercial. NYPD did not bother me about the

tripod. I guess it was early and empty enough to leave me be.

<p>Brian,<br>

I like the HDRI shots you included, especially Grand Central. I like to try to get rid of people in my images. I don't know if you use this technique or not. I use a 3 stop ND filter coupled with a low ISO speed and a small aperture (say f/11 or f/16). Many times depending on the lighting it can yield exposure times running into 4 to 8 minutes long. This way I can get rid of most if not all people in the image (that is if you don't want people in your shots). I was surprised to hear tripods were allowed at Top of the Rock. I should try to bring mine up there. Till now I used a baby tripod (for lack of a better descriptive term) on top of the stone parapet wall on the uppermost observation deck. It lets me get away with traveling lighter. There was a good point brought up that maybe the people with tripods got permits from the building owners beforehand, so checking with them is a great idea.<br>

I know generally in street shots the police don't really bother you if you have a tripod unless it blocks pedestrian traffic or you are shooting on private property, but after an incident at Times Square I always obtain a shooting permit from the Mayors Office for Film Location Shoots. I really don't want to mess with the police an their interpretation of the law (and it saved me from a few confrontations with the police when I shoot pans in the city). It can get pretty nasty sometimes (but hey, they are concerned with terrorist activities). The permit is free, all you have to do is fill out the online form indicating the day and location where you will be shooting (only works if you know several days beforehand where you intend to be). Once they approve the permit, they fax it back to you, and your set. <br>

Keep shooting and have fun!</p>