Different Minolta Autocord Models

daniel_schmutter

Few questions about the various models of Autocord:

1) Are the L and LMX models the only ones with selenium

meters? That is, do the later models have either a CDS meter or

no meter at all or do the later non-CDS models have selenium

meters instead of CDS meters?

2) Is there a particularly compelling reason to prefer the CDS

models to the selenium models or vice versa?

3) Can batteries for the CDS models be found?

4) Setting aside the change in top shutter speed from 400 to 500

is there any reason to prefer one shutter over the other?

5) Are the lenses different from one model to the next or is it the

same lens throughout the various models of Autocord?

6) Finally, are there any other reasons to prefer one model over

another. I already know which ones allow 220. Anything else

other than what I've already asked?

Thanks,

Dan

BTW, when you say don't hold your breath regarding a 40 to 50 year old meter, does that apply equally to the selenium and CDS meters?

Also as to the model chart, it shows selenium meters on the L and LMX but does not mention meters on anything subsequent except the CDS models. Does that mean that there are no meters on the later models except the CDS models?

Also, assuming they would hold up equally well over time, is one meter better than the other?

Thanks

Dan

I'll try to answer your questions David. Although I use the Autocord a lot and have a few of them, I'm not a expert. Given the lack of production info on these cameras, I'm not sure who is.

1) Are the L and LMX models the only ones with selenium meters? That is, do the later models have either a CDS meter or no meter at all or do the later non-CDS models have selenium meters instead of CDS meters?

You were right the first time, I believe. The L and L(MX) have a selenium meter, while the newer models, starting with the CdS-1 of the mid-60s used the first battery powered, CdS meter. I'm reasonably certain Minolta only fitted the CdS meter in later years, and didn't offer the selenium meter as a lower priced "option". They did however, continue to offer non-metered Autocord's regardless.

2) Is there a particularly compelling reason to prefer the CDS models to the selenium models or vice versa?

Other than 220 capacity in later versions, no. Basically, what the others have posted here is good advice. Pick a Autocord on the basis on condition, not what type of meter it has. For serious metering, use a good hand held.

3) Can batteries for the CDS models be found?

The mercury (Mallory MPI, ect) battery is no longer available, and hasn't been for quite some time. There are options (some of which are discussed in the MFD archives) but none are as good as a quality hand held meter.

4) Setting aside the change in top shutter speed from 400 to 500 is there any reason to prefer one shutter over the other?

No, although many claim the Seikosha Rapid is the best of them.

5) Are the lenses different from one model to the next or is it the same lens throughout the various models of Autocord?

Same lens. See the current post on Autocord lenses.

6) Finally, are there any other reasons to prefer one model over another. I already know which ones allow 220. Anything else other than what I've already asked?

The CdS models are more valuable because they are newer (generally) in better condition, and are 220 capable. Pick your Autocord on the condition of the taking lens, and have the rest of the chassis serviced afterward.

In general, when dealing with 40-50 year old TLRs, buy on the condition of the lens and shutter, and film transport, and especially don't worry about the meter. ASSUME that the meter will be unreliable or inaccurate, and use a hand-held meter. If the lens and shutter and film transport are in good shape, you will have a very useful instrument. If the shutter needs an overhaul, that will likely cost more than you paid for the camera itself. And since the lens is fixed to the camera, it needs to be in good shape as well.

You can pick up a good handheld meter 2nd hand for well under $25 on ebay or at a used photo equipment show. I got a Weston Master IV for $10 in perfect working order at the last photo show I attended.