how to do color balancing with gray card on nikon scan

moosekaka_lim

<p>hi, can anybody point me to a previous thread or some link that shows how to do color balancing/correction with C41 using a gray card and the Nikonscan software?<br>

the closest i found was one using vuescan, but i like to try it with nikon scan first.<br>

vuescan method:<br>

<a href="http://www.jingai.com/scanningguide/sec%203%20balancing%20color%20film.html">http://www.jingai.com/scanningguide/sec%203%20balancing%20color%20film.html</a><br>

i just bought a coolscan iv and would like to scan 10 rolls of superia 200, 400 and reala. <br>

another thing about color balancing with a gray card, do i need a white card as well to set the white point or will a sheet of paper do fine?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>no i have not, what i am concerned about is whether the coolscan+nikonscan will preserve the natural 'look' or colorcast of the film? for instance will reala and ektar look different using the same neutral scan settings?<br>

just to clarify, i am using negafix (silverfast) on epson v500 currently, and am quite happy that i can see that different film can be corrected to remove the colorcast using negafix.</p>

<p>whoa, that is pretty good...is the nikonscan the 'correct' color? vuescan color looks terrible but can that be corrected in photoshop and a reference card?<br>

for nikonscan neutral, can it automatically detect and correct the film mask of different films? thanks again!</p>

<p>ok, just did my first scan with the coolscan using nikonscan and a quadcore win 7 64 setup....very nice colors! one question, when i'm doing batch scans, should i enable autofocus and autoexpsosure on EVERY frame? will that make a diff? i'm aiming for speed but acceptable quality.<br>

also, i'm holding off doing my 14 rolls of batch scanning till i try the "shoot a ref card and scan flat in nikon, correct in PS" to see if i can get a better color balance than the nikon scan settings!</p>

<p>les, i just tried out both nikonscan and vuescan. In theory, using vuescan's lock exposure and lock film base color SHOULD produce a more accurate scan...in PRACTICE....nikonscan was faster and produced a nicer image.<br>

In order to remove the colorcast completely for negatives though, i still shoot a greycard, and then set a curves preset to get an R=G=B on the grey card (the so called color balancing with numbers). <br>

doing this method i am getting very nice, accurate colors for the same type of negative films (and this was a PAIN for me before the greycard). now all i need to do is remember to shoot a grey card for my first exposure !<br>

50secs with ICE and auto everything! my iv takes 2 mins min, without auto exposure but with ICE. oh how i wish i could afford the 5000.....i suspect the 4000 would be faster too as that has a firewire connection vs the measly USB 1.1 in the IV.</p>