Are Sigma Pro Lenses good?

gregory_mclemor

<p>Hello<br>

I have a Canon 50d and I am a aspiring professional photographer. I'm beginning to buy lenses. I just graduated so I do not have a lot of money. It was recommended to me that Sigma has some excellent pro lenses such as the 2.8 70-200 lens and the 100-300 Ex HSM f/4 lenses. It was pointed out to me that I could 2 or posibly 3 pro Sigma lenses for $ 2000 compared to 1 pro lenses for the same price. Are the Sigma pro lenses good quality?</p>

<p>Sincerely<br>

Greg</p>

<p>Are the Sigma pro lenses good quality?</p>

<p>Yes<br>

I own:</p>

<p id="fpAnimdropWordFP162" >Sigma 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM</p>

<p id="fpAnimdropWordFP163" >Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 EX AF</p>

<p id="fpAnimdropWordFP146" >Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG AF</p>

<p id="fpAnimdropWordFP101" >Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 APO EX DG AF</p>

<p id="fpAnimdropWordFP102" >Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 APO EX AF</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have the 10-20mm older Sigma, and the now discontinued Sigma 15-30mm. Both are excellent lenses, each serving as an ultrawide on one of the two formats (APS-C and 35mm-sensor).<br>

I also have many lenses from the manual focus days that are either branded Sigma, or were sold by someone else under a 'house' name. Most of them are also very good. This is an outfit that has been around for a long time, along with the others still standing like Tamron and Tokina.</p>

<p>I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II (non-OS) and it's really very sharp stopped down. A little soft wide open, but I only shoot with it wide open for portraits, so that's not an issue. I've never used the Canon equivalent, however, so I can't really compare.</p>

<p>I also have the Sigma 12-24 and totally love it.</p>

<p>My 24-70 f/2.8 HSM, 150mm f/2.8 macro, 50mm f/1.4 and 100-300 f/4 HSM are all excellent. (I rate my EF 135 f/2, 70-200 f/4 IS, Zeiss 35mm f/2 and Zeiss 50mm f/2 makro as excellent, too.)<br>

My 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM, 12-24 HSM, 18-50 f/2.8 HSM (sold this one) and 20mm f/1.8 are very good. (My 17-40L is in this group.)<br>

My 150-500 OS, 50-150mm f/2.8 HSM (sold, front focus at 150mm even after recalibration) are very good at the lower focal lengths.</p>

<p>My Sigma 50 2.8 EX has sharp and well made but stopped working every year when I bought a new camera (needed a ROM transplant). I had an old 400 5.6 APO I really liked. I actually wore most of the finish off I used it so much. Unfortunately the ROM was no longer available so it became a large coffee mug as did several of my other Sigmas of late 90s vintage. However, an image made with that lens was the cover shot for the "The 2007 Commemorative Stamp Yearbook! (USPS), so I guess that makes it professional!</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I will tell you what someone told me. if you are going to be a pro save your money and invest in Canon L series

lenses. In the long run you will probably end up with them anyway. I have the Sigma 70-200, Tarmon 28-75, etc.

they are great lenses and have gotten me by. However, now I am looking to upgraded them to true Canon L series

lenses as I thinek I have outgrown them.

I will tell you what someone told me. if you are going to be a pro save your money and invest in Canon L series

lenses. In the long run you will probably end up with them anyway. I have the Sigma 70-200, Tarmon 28-75, etc.

they are great lenses and have gotten me by. However, now I am looking to upgraded them to true Canon L series

lenses as I thinek I have outgrown them.

<p>I've found that while they are a smidge worse than their L equiv (usually only noticeable at extremes, ie. f2.8 at 24mm on the 24-70mm/2.8) Overall, they perform nearly on par. I use a 70-200/2.8 HSM and a 24-70/2.8 HSM on a fairly regular basis as backups for my equiv Ls. And I can say without reservation that I'd be more than comfortable shooting with them instead of the Ls should it be necessary.</p>

<p>I don't have any Sigma primes though, so I can't speak to them....</p>

<p>Of course the specific answer to your question is much simpler: Yes.</p>