Ebony camera focusing options

jim_olson1

I have an Ebony RW45 camera and am considering buying the bellows

focusing hood and have read conflicting opinions on its ease of use. There

are three options for viewing the ground glass and focusing.

1. Using Ebonys normal dark cloth

2. Using Ebonys large darkcloth with the shade clip for all weather protection

3. Using Ebonys bellows focusing hood

Im interested in what other Ebony owners find to be the best solution.

I currently use a conventional darkcloth and the BTZS hood and find both a

hassle and hot . thank you Jim Olson

I use a Horseman binocular reflex viewer with my SV45U2. Ebony modified the viewer and camera back at the time I ordered it (a slight modification, but it assures perfect fit), but I'm sure that a camera back could be sent in for modification after the fact.

The viewer is great, but you still need to resort to the darkcloth for those times that the camera is mounted high on the tripod, or if you're aimed at a subject near the ground. I also remove it to fine-tune focus with a loupe, especially when using long lenses.

Regards,

Danny

I use the Toyo bellows focusing hood on my Toyo field 4x5 camera and am very satisfied with it. It has a small opening in the back large enough to look through it with both eyes, while eliminating external lights with my forehead. It also accepts easily the Toyo focusing loupe which has a length perfectly fitted to this focusing hood. In my view, this is the best possible solution for a light portable equipment. The small disadvantage of not being able to do precise focusing at the corners (unless you are near sighted as I am) can be diminished by using a Linhof Universal finder as accessory determinant.

I have found Ebony's focusing hood to be is a convenient darkcloth replacement. You simply unlatch it and hold it up to your eyes. It can be used easily with wide-angle lenses, which often require the viewing of a groundglass from several different angles in order to see the whole image. I use it on my SU45. I am pretty sure that it would fit a RW45, but you should check on this. The bellows is quite small and light. When using the bellows, I can use a loupe without any awkwardness.

Jim I use the regular Ebony cloth - VERY compact and fits into a

trouser pocket!! It does tend to flap about when really windy, but

secures with velcro around the camera. Haven't used the all

-weather cloth or the ebony focus hood so can't comment on

these. A good focus cloth is hard to find and many resort to the

D.I.Y option.

Jim,

I have spent far too much money trying to find the best solution to the same problem you have. I bought the Ebony bellows focusing hood and the Ebony darkcloth with the shade clip when I ordered my SV45U. But for a couple of years I have used a BTZS darkcloth which is in many ways the solution I prefer.

The Ebony focusing bellows is well-made, but it is based on the same construction as a regular pleated camera bellows. It is impossible to move its rear frame around behind the ground glass because of the stiffness of the bellows. (Now you can enjoy stiff bellows on both ends of the camera.) That is one of the reasons it is a bit clumsy to use with a loupe. The other reason is that it is difficult to use the loupe and try to block out ambient light at the same time.

It is odd that Ebony has not one, but TWO viewing bellows options for their 5x7 cameras. One option uses the regular bag bellows with a viewing hood attached to the back of it. (I'll bet you could pick up a beater Deardorff for what it costs!) The other option is similar to the one they use for their 4x5 cameras, but it uses a small bag bellows instead of a regular pleated bellows. Either option would allow you to move around behind the ground glass as much as you like.

The Ebony darkcloth is large, folds down into a tiny package, light, covers the whole camera, and also does duty as a lens shade. It is another elegant and useful design from Ebony. Unfortunately the material they use would also be great for making kites. There are always tradeoffs. But if you get Ebony's darkcloth definitely get the shade clip to go with it. There are three rectangular sheets of plastic sewn into the darkcloth and the clip attaches to the middle one. (I presume the sheets are plastic. Top grade NASA plastic probably. Ebony wouldn't use cardboard, would they? They ARE cardboard? Ohmygodddd! What a letdown!)

The BTZS darkcloth is bulky, somewhat heavy, and sometimes hot because it is a tube design. It doesn't let in much air, but it doesn't let in much light, either. It will help you focus perfectly while you roast.

Hope you can use this info to come to a decision that is best for you.

I too have both the Ebony All-wheather focusing cloth with shade clip and their bellows focussing hood. I purchased these both in June 2002 so they must be the most current production. My all-wheather focusing cloth came with quality plastic sections not cardboard. I use it only when it is raining, though!

The rest of the time I use the bellows focusing hood. It is their newer model without a leather bellows, it's some expensive space-age material instead. Actually I was the first customer that bought it! This Bellows focusing hood works quite well, perhaps unlike the flimsier leather bellows hood. But it does have to be removed to use my large schneider loupe.

Maybe their new loupe would work better ith it?

Jonathan,

I was just kidding about the cardboard! I also think I gave the impression that I don't like the Ebony focusing bellows. That is not the case at all. I use it often, but can usually focus better under a darkcloth. The focusing bellows is really useful while photographing in an urban environment where it is prudent to keep one eye on my gear, one eye on my back and one eye on the ground glass.