Nikon and software

s_palmer

<p>I've been using ViewNX2 and gimp (free photo editing software). It's a pretty good combo.<br>

ViewNX2 isn't the greatest, but I'm very familiar with it and like it. It is buggy. It tends to crash, but never corrupts files. If you save a new file (for example from gimp), ViewNX2 won't see it until you go to a directory higher up the hierarchy, and then back into the directory where you put the file. Other than that, it's pretty good.<br>

Gimp seems to be pretty full-featured and I haven't encountered bugs. The documentation is ok, but there is far more written about Lightroom and much more collective user experience to draw upon.<br>

I just got LightRoom this week. It is slower than ViewNX2 and does not have as many editing features as Gimp. Its cropping and rotating tools are far easier to use, but I'm confused by its importing/cataloging process and don't know my way around it. At the moment I'm under time pressure to get some work done so, believe it or not, I'm going to do the work in ViewNX2+Gimp and learn LightRoom later.</p>

<p>While NX2 isn't the most intuitive software, I prefer it's RAW conversion to ACR for the simple fact that I can change settings just like I can when shooting JPEG in camera.</p>

<p>I also use LR and PS with many actions and plugins, so take NX2 for what it is best used for: a RAW converter.<br>

<br />RS</p>

<p>It was discovered by someone... that when a "D" lens is used, additional menu item shows up in NX2, extending use of the "D" type lenses.</p>

<p>So... we need to add 4th reason to use "D" lenses:</p>

<p>4. Nikon NX2 software takes advantage of the focus distance information provided by "D" lenses.</p>

<p>to the 3 reasons to use "D" lenses, that features we already implemented in latest Nikon DSLR cameras:</p>

<p>1. Support for best iTTL/BL balanced flash mode.<br />2. Matrix metering.<br />3. 3D auto focus tracking.</p>