Trade in Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 for 50-500mm HSM lens

subha

<p>I have a Sigma HSM 70-200mm f2.8 lens. I have used for portrait shots of models and friends. And for shooting birds i coupled it with my Tamron 2x tele-converter. </p>

<p>I am thinking of trading it for a Sigma 50-500 mm HSM lens. Does anyone have any suggestion or feedback. I am quite certain the 50-500mm lens can be used for portrait, and candid shots of life in the city from a distance and the BOKEH would be fantastic. Furthermore this would help me to capture wildlife at 500mm and also upto 800 mm manual focus using Tamron 2x Tele-converter. </p>

<p>Suggestions?<br>

Subha</p>

<p>I don't own this lens, but it will be quite a bit slower (F4-5.6) than your 70-200 and also heavier.<br>

If you only work outdoors and in good light it could be an option, but you may want to keep the more nimble and faster 70-200 but it depends on your shooting style and subjects.<br>

You probably would lose a stop or so by adding a TC to this rig, so be aware of that as well. Perhaps you should rent one for a week and see how you like it?</p>

<p>Your 70-200 with 2x is likely as good, if not better than the Bigma. Consider adding the properly matched Sigma converter for a lot less, well, unless your Tamron 2x is the SP Pro.</p>

<p>If you wish to try the Bigma, buy a used one. They can be had for well under 1/2 price for a reason.</p>

<p>The bokeh you get with the f2.8 lens is probably better than you would get with the 50-500. Consider the aperture difference. The 70-200 probably shoots much better detail at f8, and the 50-500 will be the same. You'll probably want to shoot at f11 a lot with either lens I'm guessing, so there is little difference there. The 50-500 might seem like a good solution to your problem, giving you even wider angle at the low end, and after I had a full-frame camera with a 70-200 f2.8 for a while, I found that I shot at f5.6 and f8 much more often. But when you need or want f2.8 and can't have it you will be sorry and miss that lens you have now. Of course, I know of a very good photographer who shoots with a 28-300, and he swears by it, using it almost exclusively. I believe he has some nice fixed glass with f1.2 and f2 apertures for shooting in darker situations. If you're not totally happy with your 70-200, consider making the switch. It will be a good experience, and you can always switch back, right? (It might cost you a little for the experience, but the would probably be worthwhile.)</p>

<p>Wouldn't it be nice to have both?</p>

<p>;)</p>