Broken MB200 (D200) quick fix

richard_potts

<p>One of the battery clips in my MB-200 broke, as has happened to many others. I tried to glue it, but I doubt that any glue will hold such a small surface which must take so much opposing force from the spring in the bottom of the battery compartment. The worst problem was that the battery door would not hold the battery in if the clip was not fully functional, and batteries popped out in the field on more than one occasion. I won't pay the cost of repair from Nikon, nor buy another one, so I figured that I may as well try a homemade remedy. I simply clipped off the top one-third of the spring, so that not as much "backwards" force is applied to the battery and then to the MB-200 door. The spring has nothing to do with electrical contact, as springs do in flashlights, etc.; it only pushes back on the battery for positioning. I also fiddled with the MB200 door latch, as it seemed to have only a tenuous hold on the little tab on the door "frame." I took off the circlip and adjusted it so that it closes in more of a 1 o'clock position, rather than a 12 o'clock position, and makes greater contact behind the door frame tab, and holds the door closed more firmly. This seems to work so far, and the battery makes full electrical contact just from pressure from the closed door, without the broken clip. If you are not willing to pay the cost of new one or repair, then this might work for you.</p>

<p>I replaced the clips on mine a couple of years ago. Ordered all of the parts for around $20, spent perhaps half an hour carefully doing the job, and while I was at it, I replaced all of the rubber grips on the body for a few bucks more. The replacement clips, by the way, are much more substantial than the originals.</p>

<p>Yes, I have seen the site illustrating the actual repair, and it does seem somewhat involved, especially the tiny screw removal. It is a very thorough description, and if I thought that I would be keeping the D200 for a long time, I might have tried it. However, new (and greatly improved) models are calling me, after 5 years with the D200. That's why I called this a "quick fix."</p>

<p>Yeah, when I did the repair, it made sense. The D200 is still with me, and used for certain tasks ... but it's newer cousin is doing most of the heavy lifting.<br /><br />Don't be frightened of that clip replacement job, though. Truly, if you're at all tool-ish, you'll have no problem getting it done. I only mention that because the latch on the grip door isn't all that sturdy, and without the white clips hanging on to things, even with the reduced spring pressure, you're going to fatigue that door latch.</p>

• 2 weeks later...