Prime Lens for wedding shooting

JohnLiang

<blockquote>

<p>To me, one situation in which a prime is very useful is when I want <em>less</em> to think about, not <em>more</em>, because I'm just going to go out and shoot instinctively. I do this sometimes when I shoot street, for example. If I can't think about FL because I have no choice about FL, there is one less thing for me to deal with when I'm working quickly. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>That was my point exactly. So I guess we DO agree!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>However, except in a few situations, you are more likely to be working hand held at a wedding, so the odds are pretty low that you'll really see the benefit of the slightly increased resolution potential of some primes shot wide open.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Resolution, no. The resolution of top-quality zooms is not in dispute. But two or more stops of light could make a big difference in a dark church (e.g. an f/1.4 prime versus an f/2.8 zoom lens). Then again, as I stated in an earlier post, the zoom might benefit from IS. The choice depends on whether you're trying to manage camera shake or subject movement.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In many/most cases you are also going to be working with flash. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's not necessarily the case in a post-D3 world. Natural light is "in," and there are plenty of situations where officiants forbid the use of strobes during a wedding ceremony. The OP's could be one of these.</p>

<p>I do not shoot weddings and in general prefer primes. But primes have one type of flexibility and miss another. Questions I would ask in this particular situation myself are:</p>

<ul>

<li>Do I have a good flash?</li>

<li>Do I know how to work with flash?</li>

<li>Will I be able to handle different color temperatures and control quality of the light with that flash? </li>

<li>Is flash allowed?</li>

<li>How much light will be there in the worst case scenario?</li>

<li>Is flipping primes possible without missing important moments?</li>

</ul>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Thank you all for opening up my eyes and it was a great experience for this first post question of mine. I have made my decision to rent a 1DS ii to have my 24mm f2.8 on it and leave the 50mm on the 1D classic to see how it will turn out. your points are well taken and very much appreciated.</p>