Leica M9

<p>As a Leica MP user, I am interested in the M9, so I am doing a bit of research. One thing I remember as being available for the M8 upgrade was the sapphire glass for the LCD screen. I stumbled upon a Leica FAQ where they state why the camera doesn't have such, and I was a bit surprised at how many design changes over the M8 seem to be cost related. For example, I view the following as penny pinching changes: no sapphire glass, no chrome option (I'd get the black myself), no top plate LCD, and a change of included software.<br>

It is available here: en.<strong>leica</strong>-camera.com/assets/file/download.php?filename=file_4784.pdf<br>

The question about the sapphire glass specifically states that the idea was to keep the cost down. I guess that wouldn't bother me so much if the cost went up over the prior product!</p>

<p>I guess the top plate LCD and the software don't really bother me.</p>

<p>But, how vulnerable is the back LCD without the sapphire glass?</p>

I don't think you need a half case unless you really bang your camera around- assuming the LCD cover is

the same as what's on the original M8. When I had an M8, an upgrade on the LCD surface was the last thing I would have spent money on.

<p>A few dollars for a plastic LCD protector does the trick; a half case is just good protection if you want to keep the camera for a good period, and it also permits easy handling (the Leica body is somewhat slippery).</p>

<p>Where they really shouldn't have skimped in quality is on the mediocre LCD (240,000 pixels?), where other less expensive cameras have up to 960,000.</p>

<p>Well, don't use the M9 as a hammer, use an nikon f5 (or whatever) if you want a hammer...<br>

I mean, it's and LCD, it's not gonna break if you take care but it will break if something hits it really hard. I like both the M8 and M9 but Leica doesn't produce tanks anymore, they make very expensive, small and fun cameras combined with some of the best glass.<br>

You can get a good plastic cover for very little money. it's not saphire glass but the histogram should be perfectly readable which is most important. don't bother much with the quality of the LCD, the little pixel you have won't give you a very nice image that you could use as an evaluative tool, a pity though nothing to kill the fun.<br>

Of course when comparing it to a 2004 camera the LCD is just fine...<br>

Another idea is to get a leather case that has an easily removable LCD cover, together with a plastic cover or foil against scratches you should be more than protected.</p>

<p>It's a camera to take pictures and not that much to look at pictures. You will have a great amount of fun with the camera and if something happens to your leica, don't forget that you have a longer and (some might disagree here) better warranty than most brands.<br>

I hope you'll have a lot of fun and as you know from your MP the Leica as a camera kind of disappears while shooting and what's left is the experience (to be blunt and paraphrase leica's new way).</p>

<p>best,<br>

Michael</p>

<p>I've been using the Lexerd protector. Very thin, protects well, and is virtually invisible. My first try yielded a slightly crooked placement, but they come in packs of 2 and the second was nearly perfect. You can get the Lexerd protector at Amazon.com.</p>