Do you include yourself in the wedding album?

bill_brown8

<p>The wedding photographer is an integral part of most people's weddings. When you present the happy couple with their portfolio, do you include an image of yourself? I really liked the photographer at my daughter's wedding and I took a few "snaps" of him at work just so her reminders of the day would be complete.</p>

<p>I personally would have liked a picture of the photographer in my wedding album. Especially for photojournalist type albums, where they are there during the whole day... I think they become part of the whole day experience.</p>

<p>It's a fine line.... How do you ask? "Would you like a picture of me in your album?" It should be up to the couple, not the photographer, obsiously. The mixture of reactions can go from "What a great idea!!", to "What the heck is this guy thinking? That he is our friend just because we hired him? lets go somewhere else".</p>

<p>But, if I had seen a few sample albums (when I was looking for a photographer) where some included a picture of the photographer... I would have asked for it. Having the picture in some of the sample albums would have triggered my decision... and if someone doesn't like it, they simply choose a different layout.</p>

<p>Then again, my point of view is biased towards being in the album... because, since I'm the family photo guy, you could look at most of our albums and wonder why I wasn't invited to any of the events. ;-)</p>

<p>Never! and I would add that, I would imagine more people objecting to a photo of their photographer in their wedding album than being in favor of, just my 2 cents. However, everybody runs their business in a different way, and what is wrong for some, might be right for others. :)</p>

<p>I don't "do" weddings, but sometimes, when I've been invited as a guest by close friends, I've been asked to supplement the images made by the pro hired for the event. The idea is for me to get shots that the pro can't take. In that vein, I usually include at least one shot of the pro shooting the formals, so that if the couple wants it, they can have it as part of their record of the event. (BTW, in all cases, before anything starts, I talk to the pro, and make sure to stay out of the way.)</p>

<p>It's funny -- I would never add a photo of myself to a client's wedding album, unless the client directed me to do so unprompted. But now that you mention it, I do wish my own wedding album had a photo in which our photographer was at least visible. It's at least an interesting question.</p>