M7 and 150mm lens?

timlayton

<p>I have a Mamiya 7 with the standard 80mm lens as well as the 43mm wide angle lens with the viewfinder. I am considering the 150mm lens and noticed that some of the used ones I am looking at come with just the lens and others with the optional viewfinder. <br>

I assume using the viewfinder in the M7 will not properly frame the scene when using the 150mm lens? Is this a correct assumption? Does anyone use the 150mm lens without the viewfinder? If so, how do ensure you properly frame the scene through the viewfinder in the M7? If you have any other tips or info that would help me while considering the 150mm lens I would appreciate it too.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Tim</p>

<p>Tim,<br>

The camera does have a frame for the 150. The external viewfinder is offered as an option because the built in frame is relatively small at the reduced magnification of the camera viewfinder. I use the 150 without the external viewfinder and have never found it a big problem. It probably depends on what kinds of subjects you are working with.<br>

David</p>

<p>I use this lens without the accessory finder. The lens does not come with the finder as standard, and though I wouldn't dream of using the 50mm without the auxillary finder the longer lens has not been a big problem. The difference of course is that the normal finder doesn't enable you to see the entire frame with the 50 and 43, but does ( and then some) with the 150. Reality is that you can just about see well enough to frame the shot without the accessory finder. If I used the 150 much more frequently I may have bought the finder, but I suspect I'm like others in seeing the camera primarily as a wide to std system with the telephoto for occasional use. </p>

<p>Thanks David G. and David H. for your responses... very helpful. I've used my M7 for landscapes and architecture to date (<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlaytonsr/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/timlaytonsr/</a>) but thought I may try and use the 150mm for some small group shots and short tele work. Since I only have the 43 and 80 right now I tend to leave the 43 viewfinder on when I am using the 80 to see if I want to possibly change lenses. I sort of fell onto this by accident and then liked the idea. </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Tim</p>

<p>I have both the 150 and the finder. What IMO offers except a better frame is the ability to observe camera movement when used handheld so you can hold the camera steadier. I've seen your flickr account and your snow scenes with the 7. I see a large amount of falloff when I use the 43 in such evenly lit scenes but I see almost none in your pictures. Have you manipulated them digitally or are you using a center filter?</p>

<p>I too have the finder. It's light weight and easy to carry so I bring it when I am out with the M7II. I prefer to try to compose carefully, always a challenge with a rangefinder camera, so tend to use the finder. Clearly it will slow you down since you need to go to the camera viewfinder to focus, but I almost always use a tripod so it is not a problem. It is nice to have, but not crucial.<a href="javascript:scroll(0,0);"><br /></a></p>

<p>Giovanni, the snow pics on my flickr stream have all been scanned with an Epson V750 scanner where I review each photo and make basic adjustments (e.g., levels, brightness, etc) before scanning. I then import into Lightroom where I catalog all my images and then take care of any dust spots and noise reduction in Photoshop but that is about it generally. Sometimes I will add a levels adjustment for some additional contrast. I've shot about 5 rolls with the 43mm now in different scenes and have not noticed any light falloff at all. </p>

<p>Several of you have the 150mm lens. What do you typically use your 150 for? </p>

<p>Tim</p>

<p>Giovanni, thanks for the link to the images. This is how I imagined I would use it for landscapes and I am sure I would use it in my architecture work as well. The good news is the lens is the cheapest of the three I own so I am ordering today! </p>

<p>La lingua italiana è molto bella. Sto studiando l'italiano. Ci sentiamo presto!<br>

I did see the falloff that you talked about with the 43. If you shoot a pure white backdrop or background do you see the falloff as well? That seems very odd to me and the only thing I can think of is a problem with the actual lens itself. Keep me posted on the status.</p>

<p>Tim</p>

<p>All super wide angles have fall off. It's not a design flaw, it's physics. That's why they make center filters for super wide view camera lenses like 47's and 58's. It bothers some people, others it does not. With modern software tools such as Lightroom 3 it can be mitigated fairly easily. Darkroom printers, like that fellow Ansel, used to do a little edge burning to bring people's attention toward the center of the frame anyway.</p>