MacBook Pro Suitable for Serious Photoshop Editing ?

A few years ago I was told that to do any serious photo editing and post production you needed a desktop because a laptop

will not do the job or render the true colors etc. so I bought an IMac, But I am sill longing for that Macbook Pro. Just

wondering if the consensus is still the same as far as using a laptop for PS work.

Also, what are your thoughts about the 15 inch Macbook Pro Vs the 17 inch? I like the big screen but I dont thing the 17 is as

portable.

Thanks!

<p>You've pretty much got the argument already. 15-inch is much more portable, but 17-inch is much better for seeing more of things all at one time.<br /> Are laptops as good as a desktop machine? Usually not. Although the iMac is great for the price, a fully professional rig would involve an even better monitor. Both the laptop and the iMac can, of course, be hooked up to any monitor you can afford.</p>

<p>Both machines are more than adequate in terms of software operation, etc. Always get as much memory stuffed into it as you can afford. Photoshop is a notoriously heavy user of resources. Although it will work on minimal memory, it flies better the more you let it have.</p>

<p>Actually, you can keep the iMac and get a cheaper Mac laptop and have the best of all worlds, sorta.</p>

<p>The biggest drawback to the laptop is the monitor. Next would be how big you work your files as there is just less available computing power in the laptop compared to the desktop. In any case, the laptop really needs one to get a good external monitor for any sort of critical color work. I have both a macbook pro and a mac pro tower and I cannot rely on the laptop for color as it is significantly different--saturation and contrast--that the freestanding monitor.</p>

<p>I have a 13" MacBook Pro with a 24" LED Cinema Display running Photoshop CS5, and it works flawlessly.</p>

<p>I upgraded the RAM to 8 GB, which is necessary for any serious s/w. I also added a 4 TB Firewire hard drive.</p>

<p>IM[-H]O the 13" with the external display is a much better value than the 15".</p>

<p>I take my laptop to the studio and into the field for shooting tethered, and the smaller machine is much more convenient. I've never had an issue with the screen size.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>I have a 17-in MacBook Pro (1 year old) and an HP 2475w monitor. I think they're both great and while a power tower would give me more horsepower, I don't need it and my pro handles files plenty fast enough. Especially as I do most editing in Lightroom 3 anyway and only use PS CS5 for occasional editing. <br>

You have to upgrade to 8 GB RAM, per Leigh. Absolutely.<br>

I love the 17-in size and it fits into my work bag computer slot. I wouldn't dream of going with less screen real estate - it's great for working on pics outside the home. The monitor is not fantastic but you can calibrate close enough to work on pics. I have calibrated and profiled both monitors and don't see a hugely noticeable difference between them.</p>