Eclipse sensor cleaner storage?

jarle_aasland

<p >About to clean my D3 sensor, I found that my second bottle of Eclipse was almost empty. Apparently, the solution has evaporated.<br>

This is the second time I've had an almost full bottle of this stuff disappear. Bottles have been stored at room temperature, with lid tightly fastened.<br>

I’ve now ordered a third bottle, and wondering how I should store it to prevent the cleaner from evaporating. In a fridge? Freezer? Anyone?<br>

I've sent the same question to the manufacturer, but haven't heard from them yet. Will post here if and when I get a reply.</p>

<p>Basically it's 100% methanol. Freezing point of that substance should be -97.7 degrees C.</p>

<p>Freezer storage is fine, just let it warm up to room temp before opening to avoid condensing water and having that become part of the alcohol mix.</p>

<p>At work here, we store a lot of things in the fridge/freezer from cyanoacrylate adhesives to volatiles like alcohol. Cooler temperatures really slow evaporational loses. Just mind any foodstuffs and the ability to puncture your container. A real lab scientist here would cringe at such being done in a home frige, but it's up to you. (Might be sensible to put the bottle inside a small Tupperware container to mitigate that or a spill.)</p>

<p>Reaction rates and evaporation rates are usually related to temperature. A 10 degree change typically doubles the rate as things warm up. (Grossly, crude rule of thumb.)</p>

<p>Jim M.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I keep my bottles of Eclipse and E2 in a Ziploc bag. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but my Eclipse is still "full" after a few years. No special storage (in fact, I've had it in the car during week-long summer shooting assignments).</p>

<p>I keep mine in my office alongside the camera equipment. Averege temperature probably 70 Fahrenheit, though no direct sunlight since the room faces north. Little obvious evaporation. Some of the more expensive aftershaves and colognes upstairs seem to evaporate a lot faster and I don't recall being told to keep them in the fridge.</p>