shooting the moon

robert_oneal

<p>hello out there,</p>

<p>the other night, i got a decent series of shots of the lunar eclipse with a 400mm lens. now, i want to get a lot closer. after scouring the internet for some simple answers, i'm throwing this out to photo.net.<br>

i'm looking for a telescopic combination to attach to my d700. i don't work for nasa and i'm not interested in shooting freckles on a martian. i'd just like to get about 1000mm worth of magnification onto my d700's sensor. since i have no idea where to begin, it's hard to say what i'm willing to pay, but anything over a grand ain't happening. are there are any reasonably-priced scopes out there? <br>

thanks very much for your time,<br>

rob o'neal</p>

<p>H'm how about a 1000mm F11 nikon Reflex lens<br>

not much good for anything other than moon and shots and some distance shots but not to shabby at that<br>

you should be able to pick one up for About £250 £300 in excellent condition,<br>

However if you do decide to go for one of these lenses make sure to try to get all of the bits ie handle and filters as they can be a bit hard to get hold off.</p><div>00XuvS-314689584.thumb.jpg.59ea5a50439631f4f49843a5debb247c.jpg</div>

<p>If you want more than just moon shots, I'd say a 500mm lens is a better way to go. Generally much more useful for photography.</p>

<p>You can get the Sigma 150-500 for around $925 and you can put a 2x TC on it, or you can get a 500mm mirror lens for a few hundred dollars if you don't mind a fixed aperture and manual focus.</p>

<p>If you want a telescope you might look at something like the Celestron 4.7" Omni XLT 120 which is 1000mm and f8.3 and is under $700 complete with a tripod and basic tracking mount, or something like the Sky-Watcher Pro 80ED APO wich uses ED glass for lower chromatic aberration and is 600mm at f7.5. Again under $700.</p>

<p>Well, I'm no expert, but I did recieve a telescope as a "gift", and have played with it a little. This is a Celestron 8.5" telescope that I adapted my 50D to....</p>

<p>Unfortunately I did not have it with me during the eclipse, and I could probably do a little better with the processing...</p><div>00Xv3c-314807584.jpg.9f29f2e25eeca42ca3d18d3ce595f034.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...