Canon or Nikon DSLR?

ali_jan

<p>Hi friends<br>

I am in great confusion about buying DSLR as I am unable to decide which one to choose.Nikon or Canon?<br>

According to the reviews I have read so far,Nikon body is very well but Nikon lense are not as better as that of Canon.Canon body is not as well built as Nikon and Canon Lenses are matchless and specially the "L" series lenses.<br>

I intend to spend 5 thousand GBP on Professional full-frame body and 3 or four lenses.I want to buy a camera like Canon 5D Mark 2.<br>

What you people suggest for me.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>What are you interested in as your photography subjects? Not that it really matters that much, all the newer full-frame DSLRs have gotten great reviews, including Sony's a850/a900 bodies and (for example) 70-400 G lens. If you're thinking of video and/or really fast autofocus action then one of Nikon's FX bodies is probably your best choice. If you're more inclined towards landscapes and slightly lower weight, then the 5D Mk2 or a850/a900 are the way to go. To decide between both, consider whether you want/need the 5D Mk2's video options and a built-in flash, or the Sony bodies' sensor-based image stabilization and somewhat lower cost.</p>

<p>Greetings! First, I agree with the poster who said if you want a camera "like the 5d mII", then get the 5d mII. It is certainly a fine DSLR. Since you seem to admire Canon optics equally well, what is holding you back from the 5d mII? That said, I disagree that Canon lenses are "matchless, especially the L lenses", as reviews suggest that you can find equally "matchless" Nikkor optics. Additionally, the new Nikon D7000 seems to be extremely high-quality in terms of build, handling, and most importantly, image quality. I would shoot the 5d mII and the D7000 side by side, compare ergonomics, handling, AF speed, and of course, image quality of the same subject under same lighting. In either case, I don't think you'll be disappointed! Good luck.</p>

<p>For the budget you have, you may be better served by getting an entry level dslr then decide down the road what kind of subjects you want to shoot, and the equipment required to get them. Spend part of that budget on books, courses, color management as well as computer hardware and software. Software is a key aspect in today's digital photography as much as the photographer's skill behind the camera.</p>

<p>Alvin</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon body is very well but Nikon lense are not as better as that of Canon.Canon body is not as well built as Nikon and Canon Lenses are matchless and specially the "L" series lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There is really no truth to any of this. Both have strengths, both have weaknesses, both have bargains, both have overpriced lenses, etc. etc.<br>

Canon is always better than Nikon, except when it is the other way around.</p>

<p>I own both Canon and Nikon film camera(s) and lenses, so when I was in the same position as you I tried both digital SLRs in the local shop. The Canon I was trying was larger than the Nikon I was looking at - but the Nikon 'felt' bigger and fitted my hand better. Wierd but true. After the fact I discovered (made up?) other reasons to justify my choice, which I have never regretted - but I reckon I would have done exactly the same had I chosen the Canon. <br>

Go to the shop and try them - and by doing so support your local shop as too many have gone over the last few years!<br>

Nick</p>

<p>Generally agreeing with the above posts, both Nikon and Canon systems are good. Regarding bodies and lenses, neither system is better than the other, they're just different so it really depends on what your requirements are. However, there is one big differentiator in my mind, the flash system. I shoot both systems (mainly Canon though), and find the Nikon flash system much better. I find exposures using Nikon's I-TTL much more consistent than Canon's E-TTL system (I have to ride the flash exp. comp dial much more). Also, when it comes to manual non-TTL flash, Nikon lets you do rear curtain sync with any flash while Canon's rear curtain sync only works with TTL flashes. Frankly, the only reason I have Canon gear is because it let me get into full frame digital sooner and for less than Nikon. If I had to start over now I would probably go Nikon full frame because of the flash system.</p>

<p>True enough; one is always better than the other, and there's never any question about it. So I'd get the better one.</p>

<p>Seriously, the cams are all pretty close, but the 5D II is unique. Nikon makes a similarly priced full frame model, but it's much lower in resolution. But it does offer other advantages, like weather sealing and a better AF system. But for IQ alone, the 5D II is tough to beat. Pick them up, see which one feels better (regarding controls, menus, etc...) , and get that one.</p>

<p>Greetings! <br>

To my mind, a camera system is like a fine watch. No matter how many times you read or heard about its features, durability, style, etc., one must actually "try it on" before making a purchase decision. The same is true for cameras. As was suggested earlier, you need to simply take some media to a local shop, handle cameras from each system under consideration (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, whatever), take test images under same settings and conditions, and then compare them at your computer. Only after these tests can you make a proper decision for you. IMHO, as for FF, back in the day when the availability of good, fast wide-angle optics was scarce, full-frame was optimal for landscape shooters. Now however, lens systems are much better and more well-rounded, and I think the APS-C image quality from the likes of the Nikon D7000, Canon 7D, or Pentax K-5 are such that one no longer needs to spend the bucks on the FF rigs, unless perhaps you shoot wide-angle extensively. <br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>Donald, the D7000 is indeed a superb camera, and its lack of stock is a sure sign it is selling like hot cakes. However, in the grand scheme of things, Nikon and Canon are equal in terms of quality of construction and image quality from their cameras. Canon has a small lead in point and shoot cameras, Nikon has a small lead in DSLR cameras. Ultimately they are equal though. So someone who can't decide which brand to get, may have to just spend a lot of time at the camera store fondling each camera and seeing which one fits better. I've been shooting with Nikon cameras since 1982 and have absolutely no plans to stop now. I've owned a couple small Canon digital cameras, but for all pro work it's Nikon for me.</p>

<p>In terms of high ISO Nikon DSLRs are noticeably more advanced than Canon DSLRs. The D7000 is really an impressive performer in that regard especially in that regard and at a terrific price.</p>

<p>Generally I still prefer Canon controls and camera menus over Nikon's. I'm a dedicated Canon shooter and will continue to be for weddings and portrait work.<br>

But I don't think Canon and Nikon are equal. I may pickup a D700 for landscape work.</p>

<p>I have to Agree with both Dave lee and Donald Bryant posts<br>

My honest opinion is that your main investment is the Glass and not the camera! Cameras! They come and go! But Glass is forever! Nikon have supported their glass since the 1960s and as long as it as it is Ais and as the Nikon mount, You can use it on any of the nikon range of slr, dslr! Although be carefull some of the newer digital lenses arn't backwards compatible with older nikon Film cameras<br>

I know I'm going to get flamed for this! But stay away from the newer lesser supported makes ie Sony pentax etc,<br>

Stick with either Canon or Nikon, both have a thriving s/h market for lenses and you can pick up some realy nice lenses off of fleabay if you know what your looking at and the seller as good feedback,<br>

And as long as you stick with Prime Lenses with either brand you can't go far wrong!<br>

I have to admit to being a Nikon Digital User with A D1X D1H D2H D2X and an assortment of Prime lenses and all of the crap that goes with it!<br>

However! Bare in mind that if you plan on buying brand new both makes will lose a fortune the second you take the camera out of the box,<br>

My D2x was bought from a local guy off of ebay with 22000 actuations! 11 months old for £1100 with some Nikon bits"n"bobs<br>

The price he paid for the camera inc bits was £4398 new from Calumet in Glasgow,<br>

At the time I though that I had won a watch! And in a way I did! (Because the guy was local I could checkout the camera before I handed over my payment)<br>

But in hindsight it was about the right Price for what it was. A s/h Dslr so consider getting a used still under some warrenty dslr and put the saved money towards better Glass,<br>

Also the taking lessions comment is an excellent suggestion! Take just one lesson and you can skip severial weeks of mistakes! Take an entire course and your a semi pro in a few weeks,<br>

Another thing to consider is computers and photo editing most pc users use adobe! Lightroom is excellent, I would only consider photoshop if you want to drasticley alter or edit your photos ( I limit myself to 2 minutes in LR to edit any pictures that I have to fix) beyond that and I usually don't bother with the picture<br>

Get it right in the camera and it saves a ton of time in photo editing</p>