Considering a Tokina Lens

catherine_upson

<p>I am considering a purchase of <a title="Tokina AT-X AF 11-16mm 2.8 PRO DX Zoom Digital Camera Lens for Canon EOS, 82234" href="http://www.canogacamera.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=82234">Tokina AT-X AF 11-16mm 2.8 PRO DX Zoom Digital Camera Lens for Canon EOS</a> for landscape photography. I am a novice photographer and still learning a lot. I don't know anyone who has used a Tokina lens, and I was hoping for some input as to their quality. One reason for considering this lens over a Canon is cost. Would it be a good lens to learn with? Any input good or bad is appreciated.</p>

<p>Tokina lenses are superbly well-built, generally very good optically, and much more affordable than comparable Canon lenses. The downside is that they tend to autofocus rather slowly and with more noise than you'd get from a Canon USM lens. Also, if you ever focus manually, it may irritate you that Tokinas focus like Nikons -- you turn the focusing ring the opposite direction that you would with a Canon.</p>

<p>I've never used the 11-16mm f/2.8, but I've heard very good things about it. I used to own Tokina's 12-24mm f/4 lens, which was very good. The only Tokina I currently own is their 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, which gives Canon a good run for their money (especially since I usually focus it manually, and so don't much care about AF speed).</p>

<p>Tokina makes excellent lenses. The 11-16mm is regarded as the best superwide zoom optically.</p>

<p>Any lens is good to learn with. Mastering superwides is one of the most difficult aspects, because their dramatic allure gets old pretty fast and you need need very good composition skills to keep outputting great pictures. As Robert Capa said, "<em>If your picture isn't good enough, you're not close enough.</em>"</p>

<p>I love my 11-16. It's built like a tank, feels great in the hand, and has great IQ. Honestly the only problem I have with it is how hard it was to get... When I bought mine this past summer, it was difficult to find anyone reputable that had it in stock. Go get it... You will not regret it!</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I have one and I love it. 11mm is really wide, you can take a picture of a tall building by standing only few feet away.<br>

it's pretty much the only one in that range with constant aperture and the fastest in the bunch (Sigma 10-20 3.5, Tamron 10-24 3.5 - 4.5, Canon EF-S 3.5 - 4.5)<br>

it works well and it's well built. picture quality it great. <br>

one thing I have to report, I dropped it a while ago, not too hard, but the mounting ring started being hard to screw in position. I kept using it and it was fine, but after about 1 year it started making a clicking noise when zooming in and out and the front lens glass came off. I don't know if it's because I dropped it or what. Aslo, the paint is starting to chip. <br>

Anyway I sent it back to Tokina and now it's brand new again.<br>

enjoy</p>

• 3 weeks later...