Scanning 4x5 Tmax 400 on Microtek 9800xl

josh_adams

<p>I need some help. I'm trying to get good quality scan on a microtek 9800xl with my kodak Tmax 400 4x5 film. So far images appear dense, foggy and not sharp. I've tried the epson v750 and thought it did much better. Can I still manage to get a good quality scan on the microtek 9800xl? I noticed it doesn't support film type for tmax only color film, but I can still scan as B&W.</p>

<p>Depends on what scanning software your using.</p>

<p>I have Microtek 120tf with Silver Fast Ai softwareand it does not have a profile for Fuji Neopan, if you have the Neg Fix or some why of creating a custom profile, then that I think maybe the best route to go.</p>

<p>Wet printing Neopan shows lots of tones but scanning gets rid of most of them. I ma still mesing with the profiles but I scan in 48Bit HDR which gives a colour RAW file, then drag it into PS and invert, and switch to grey scale. So far it has not worked out to bad, but the Custom Profile still needs a bit of messing with. </p>

<p>Hello Josh, <br>

I used to scan 8x10 negatives on a Microtek using this useful link : http://www.largeformatphotography.info/1800F-bw.html.<br>

I found out that the best scans of black and white negative film are obtained by scanning the film as a color positive, inverting the file, and then using only the green channel. I don't know the 9800Xl and if it helps you with the dense and foggy issue but it's a good way of scanning B&W . The best scanningsoftware you cane use is indeed Silverfast ( as Nick said). Regards, </p>