Manfrotto 808RC4 for video taping

emaxxman

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I've got a pretty good Bogen/Manfrotto tripod and ballhead that I've been pretty happy with for photography. I'm now looking for something that I can use for videography. It's mostly of the kids during school plays, concerts, and outdoor play. As the kids get into more sports, I plan on using it for that too.</p>

<p>Let me first say that this is only for personal use BUT I do want quality. I know I can get a nice dedicated geared video head but they are above my price point currently and a little to limited.<br>

After some research, the Manfrotto 808RC4 seems to be a good upgrade from my ballhead but also has pan/tilt capabilities.</p>

<p><strong>QUESTION:</strong> Is the pan/tilting smooth enough for video? This is amateur video so it doesn't have to be "movie" smooth but I don't want to see any of that jerky motion I get with handholding or the ballhead.<br>

The equipment I'm using is a Maxxum 7d with the 100-300mm lens as the heaviest setup (add a flash and that is the max weight). The camcorder is a small palm sized camcorder but I'm considering upgrading to a high end amateur level HD camera...nothing too big in size.</p>

• 2 weeks later...