suggestions for user-defined settings on d7000 or similar dslr

maxmalossini

<p>I've just received my new d7000 and decided to try some of the fancy/convenient features. I am/was currently shooting with a d50, and use Lightroom for post-processing. I use a few nikon and tamron lenses, some with vr, two are old manual focus nikon. I think I am shooting in the same way as if I had a fe2, you know, the good old point-meter-focus-recompose with release button half-pressed.<br>

For example, I really like the idea of the two completely customizable user-defined settings. The d7000 offers 2 of these choice-settings, and from what I understand you can really, really, customize anything you can think of.<br>

Obviously the pre-settings you choose depend on the type of photography you do, but I was wondering if you could share some of the uses you do of this feature. In your opinion, what settings is worth customize? what should be left for post-processing? What did you find most useful in terms of shortcuts for making your shooting more convenient? (One big mystery for me are the AF choices).<br>

As of myself, I often (once a week) take snapshots of my young children, while otherwise I use my camera hoping to come up with more "artistic" ideas, generally using still subjects. I could also pinpoint a few issues I am generally concerned with: blurry images, focus not on subject eye, wish for more vivid colors, like to shoot low light indoor scenes...<br>

I am also willing to adjust my shooting habits, such as using one or two new buttons while I shoot, for example. (I'm thinking of the Fn button, the AF_E/L button etc...)<br>

I hope I was clear enough, and thank you in advance,<br>

Max</p>

<p>AF-on on the AEL/AFL button<br>

Fn - what I need at the time fi. : flash off, spotmetering, virtual horizon, bracketing etc.</p>

<p>AF: you can select 39 focuspoints there must be one in the neighbourhood of the eye, put it on a eye and click. Is an eye outside the focus area zoom out a little or recompose, use one point and AFC.</p>