Klasse

jim_peterson2

<p>I had the bug for a good quality yet affordable film rangefinder so today I shopped around. In particular I took close looks at a Contax T2, a Ricoh GR-1, and a Fuji Klasse. They were all in the $90 to $140 range. The Ricoh is probably the most popular of the three here in Japan and has a very loyal following. But honestly, it was way too modern looking for me. Part of my desire to have a rangefinder is to have something that feels a bit retro. The Ricoh is black plastic, extremely thin and the lens looks really cheap. So as popular as it is, I simply ruled it out based on appearance.<br>

The Contax felt really nice. It has a very sharp response, it has lots of helpful info in the VF, and it has a pretty nice look to it. But I wasn't crazy about the titanium color. Also the flash function was a bit limited in aperture priority mode. And even though having the aperture control on the lens is a nice touch, the lens just looks so chintzy that I found myself turned off a bit. The dedicated dial for ev comp. is very nice. The guy at the store was trying to convince me to buy this one.<br>

Finally the Fuji Klasse was a silver version of the original Klasse, not the newer S or W versions. The Klasse was closest to the look I wanted. I like the dials, I like the silver finish, I like the look of the lens, and the flash is very versatile, even in aperture priority mode. The ev comp. is not nearly as intuitive to operate as the Contax was with it's dedicated dial, but in the end I brought the Klasse home with me.<br>

I shot a roll of Superia Premium 400 tonight at a party. Tomorrow I'll probably try a roll of reversal if the weather is nice. Can't wait to see the results. :)</p>

<p>I would have definitely took the T2. The Contax compacts are pretty much right up there in terms of quality. Both image and build. I really love the Sonnars on the compacts. The old Klasse is a nice camera too but for me the T2 comes out ahead.<br>

Look forward to seeing some photos :)</p>

• 2 weeks later...