Image Recovery From A CD

<p>I searched the archives and found there was no help. Looking on the internet I find software that claims it can recover lost images from CD's. One such program is IsoBuster, another Digital Photo Recovery 2.0.3 and Recovery Plus Photo Recovery and others. None of these seem expensive but has anyone had any experience with such products?<br>

Thank you,</p>

<p>A company called "Infinadyne" makes diagnostic and forensic software for recovering data from CDs and DVDs. I use their "Diagnostic" software for error analysis and recovery. It is able to skip over damaged sectors, whereas an ordinary reader stops at that point and will go no further. More advanced products will read sector by sector, even if the directory tracks are damaged or missing. The Feds have read shredded discs with this software, to the consternation of the perps.</p>

<p>A lot depends on the nature of your disc failure. A scratched face (not the shiny side) can be polished and recovered perfectly. Most high-end stereo stores have disc polishers, and may help you out if you ask. If the reflective layer is crazed, pitted or scratched (you can see bright spots of light through the disc), the data in the affected sectors is gone forever.</p>

<p>You can't delete files, per se, even with a rewritable disc. You can only erase the entire disc. If the disc is written with packet software (floppy emulation), the old data is not erased, but replaced with new tracks and a new directory. It is fairly easy to recover older tracks with diagnostic software.</p>

<p>I have used a program from Jufsoft called 'BadCopy Pro' to recover data from a defective CD. It seems to do a sector by sector read and it did manage to recover almost all the files that were on the disk. I don't know if they have a trial version (I think they did when I bought the program). they were one of the few programs that said they could recover from optical media though. There is also a freebie program 'Recuva' I think is the name. It works well on HDD's but I don't know about optical media.</p>

<p>Digital Photo Recovery and suchlike programs only work properly with deleted files or "formatted" memory cards and diskdrives. They will NOT reconstruct a damaged JPEG file, and it only takes one corrupted bit to make a JPEG undisplayable. That said, you should be able to retrieve some data with a sector reader program.<br>

Try this link: <a href="http://www.aivsoft.com/downloads/badcdreader/badcdreader.html">http://www.aivsoft.com/downloads/badcdreader/badcdreader.html</a><br>

Use the free Irfanview viewer from <a href="http://www.irfanview.com">www.irfanview.com</a> to view any recovered files, since it does a better job of displaying corrupted JPEGS than Photoshop.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input here guys, I have some good news and some not so good. I downloaded the free trial from Recovery Plus Photo Recovery and it seemed to work as they say it will, as I can see the images as they are recovered. So I went ahead and filled out the order form with my CC #, this is supposed to get me an unlock code.<br>

Well nothing, zip, nada. So I have emailed their support, I will keep y'all posted. In the meantime I will give the freebie a shot as mentioned by Mark in his post from yesterday.</p>