Loupe question

jfm

Dear All,

I am looking to purchase a new loupe, but need advice. Which do you

use, and how much magnification do I need. I mainly will examine

35mm slides and negatives. I do not wear glasses..........yet.

best,

Jeffrey

If you are going to be looking at slides on a light table or contact sheets on a table there are several 8x inexpensive loups with clear bases on the market. Some can be focussed a bit. The all plastic ones are OK to judge sharpness but glass lense are better. I have a couple of old camera lenses, missing their focussing mounts, that I use as loups, a 75mm f/1.5 Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar and a 50mm f/0.95 Canon. You can also just take the Summicron off your camera. Leave the hood on to keep your oily eyelashes of the glass. For 6x6 negas use a 75-80mm lens.

The best I've found for the money is the Peake 10X, which sells for about $70 at B&H and similar stores. I've been using one for ten years or so, and it has actually improved my photography -- I thought my photos were sharp until I began looking at them through a good loupe!

Jeff,

The Peake 4x is very well made and has provided excellent service to me for years. My backup is a Mamiya 5x which is optically terrific and a bit smaller and lighter than the Peake. I use the latter on trips. But in terms of optical viewing quality, both are excellent performers.

Best regards

You may wish to do your eyes a favor and use a 4X loupe. Looking at many slides with higher magnification can become difficult. The Schneider 4X loupe is excellent. I suggest you try various loupe magnification at your local camera shop before purchasing. Each individual will naturally give you their preference which feels confortable with their eyes and needs.

you can't go wrong with the Schneider loupe. although it's quite expensive, it's sharp from center to corner...unlike the other cheaper ones which maybe sharp in the center but color fringing is so bad in the corners it's not even funny...not to mention that contrast is also lower in some cheaper loupes.

As victor suggested, the Schneider 4x (or equivalent) will permit extended sorting and editing without eye fatigue. An 8x loupe will probably induce eyestrain. I never could see through a Peak 8x without squinting. I use 9x and 12x loupes from Edmund Scientific for critically checking sharpness of negs and slides. The Schneider Loupe is also invaluable for checking negs for dust in the darkroom before printing. You can see the whole frame at a glance.

For me, it is important to see the whole frame when editing slides. The Mamiya/Cabin 5x that Tom mentioned might be a contender for that purpose.

Bob Fleischman

4X is standard for 35mm, and is best for overall examination of a 35mm film. I have a Rodenstock, which is excellent, and has focusing for less than perfect eyesight.

To determine absolute sharpness or check details in the image in the neg or proof sheet I believe you need 6X or higher, which would likely be used less often than the 4X but would still be a very useful second loupe. I'd say stay away from the plastic 8X loupes.

I've got the new (silver) Schneider 4x (c.£80 from Teamwork in London, UK)

and the Leica 5x (c. £150 from FFordes, UK). The Leica is beautifully made

and gives slightly more "leicalike" colours but you have to get your eye up

close to the glass to see the whole frame. I have to say I always use the

Schneider despite its tacky new appearance as it is so much more

comfortable to use. (I use glasses and this may well be my main reason for

preferring the plasticky Sch. loupe). It'd be nice to have 2 loupes - a four times

for general viewing and a 8-10x to check critical sharpness on slides

(although I've never found checking neg's very easy for sharpness either

straight or contacted, but that's another story)

it was mentioned, but not emphasized enough. you really need to get a high quality loupe from schneider/rodenstock/etc. if you are serious about inspecting your photos. cheap loupes show considerable distortion off axis. this means you can't view the slide and accurately assess its sharpness without moving the loupe around. this is no way to look at a picture. buy a good loupe the first time around and save time and money in the long run.

I've used many, and the ones that I've come to know and love are a 4x Schneider and my very favorite: a 6x Maxwell Precision Optics. I find that the 6x and larger FOV make it a superior product, and the aspheric optics are impeccable, with clarity edge-to-edge. It's the favored model of CIA photo intrepreters, I believe. Comes with an opaque and clear base. It's in the same league as a Schneider, Asph. Rodenstock, or Zeiss. But it's expensive, I think $250.

Go to a high-end photo store and try them all. In this case, more money generally equals better performance.

Skip

I also use a Nikon 8x (I didnt know it was made by Peak. It came in a little white Nikon box.)

It was cheap (about £24 UK) and it is OK. I am sure there are better ones but I only use slide very occasionally and prefer using my handheld , backlit , Braun viewer. The loupe and lightbox only come out to check for focus / dust etc.

I have read of people using old 50mm lenses as loupes but I have no experience of this and no 'spare' old 50mm lenses.

Given the up to -2.5 diopter correction, aspherical excellent quality, and 88 buck price at B&H, I went with the Rodenstock 4x from the advice. I too was in the market, and I also ordered today this lightbox:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aattributelist_html___127288___LOLBA5A___REG___SID=F145E9EAE90

Although, for bulb replacement one has to send the unit in, but with 20,000 hour bulbs, this shouldn't be a big deterrent. Thanks gentlemen.

I like the Leica 5x loupe, which I prefer to the Schneider 4x. The 5x allows me to see an entire 35mm slide but a bit larger than the 4x, which I prefer. You can also adjust the focus of the Leica loupe, which I consider a nice feature. They are both excellent loupes. I had a Peak 4x loupe but returned it as it was not of the same optical quality as the Schneider or Leica loupes, but not in the same price category either. A good loupe is a real pleasure and it is worth getting one you really like. There is no substitute for trying several if you can. It is personal.

Al wrote about using a camera lens as a magnifier. A 50mm is equivalent to a 5x magnifier; a 75mm, 3.3 power. The shorter the focal length, the higher the magnification. A 35mm lens is about a 7 power. Buy the 24mm ASPH, and you have a 10 power. You won't be able to see the whole slide with any of these, though. A dedicated magnifier has a wider field and is much preferable.

To find the magnification, divide the focal length in mm. into 250mm.

Bob Fleischman

Any of the high grades in the right magnification are a great investment that you will appreciate for many years. Personally, I bought a Rodenstock after doing some comparisons and have never regretted it! I've long forgotten the few extra dollars spent and will likely use it forever.

I had the Leica 5x loupe, but it drove me nuts - the bottom element is so close to the focusing plane that any dust on it will appear in glorious sharpness. Not to mention the rubber ring around the bottom is a dust MAGNET, from where the dust transfers onto the glass. Sold it. Nicely made though. Next had a Rodenstock 4X ASPH. Because of the "hangman's noose" style attachment, it fell off the cord and cracked into two pieces on the ground. Replaced that with the "new" Schneider 4x, am now in loupe heaven.