Fuji GA645 zi light leaks

marissa_wunch

<p>Hi Everyone!<br>

I recently bought a Fuji GA645 zi and shot about 10 rolls of film so far. Some of the rolls but not all have light leaks, they are usually at the end of each roll, the last 3 to 6 frames. I would like to ask if anyone has the same problem, I started thinking that maybe the winding or tension don't work well and I need to take the camera for a repair, but then a guy at my photo lab said that I'm probably not handling the film correctly after I take it out of the camera, that I need to make sure it's tightly wound. My last few rolls still have light leaks, although I took out the film in a semi dark place and made sure the winding was tight.<br>

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!</p>

<p>Marissa,<br>

It may depend on how long you leave the exposed film in the camera. A small light leak might not have any effect with reasonably fast shooting. If your last few shots are spread over more time (days?) or if the finished film is left in the camera for a while, they could be more affected. I had exactly this with my RB67 Pro S before I found the leak (hinge) and fixed it. Leaks were on images where the camera had sat for some time.</p>

Tony Evans

<p>Seems like I recall the Fuji having reported problems with loose rolls. Anyhow I've always used my thumb on the film when loading to introduce some drag and allow the film to start tight on the takeup reel. You might try this for the heck of it. I've never seen any leaks with mine but I have used this procedure since day one.</p>

<p>Hello.</p>

<p>Of all the medium format cameras I have owned, the only ones to consistently give me problems with film loading/tension were the Fuji rangefinders.<br /> I don't know what I was doing wrong, but when I made it a point to be <strong><em>very</em></strong> careful with film loading, the problem subsided. I would try another roll or two, making sure that <strong><em>both spools</em></strong> are seated properly before closing the camera, before sending it off for repair.<br /> They are all great cameras with superb lenses; it is worth the struggle they can be at times.</p>

<p>Hello, I have the GA645Zi. Find an instruction manual, it makes a specific point about how to tension the roll and load it carefully, to prevent these problems. Once you learn this, you should have no problems from the camera itself. However, you may notice that the lab can ruin the first or last roll of the film with light bleed. 1/2 the image will be burned away. This happens with other cameras too, so I know it is the lab. Luckily, doesnt happen often.</p>

<p>Last few frames affected would indicate loose rolls regardless of camera used. However, you need to do a process of elimination:</p>

<p>1) regardless of camera. Start using a black bag for changes and transport. (The guy at the lab also uses a black box for making an exchange). If you still have an issue, then it's hardware.</p>

<p>2) If the seals are good, then either you have door flexing going on due to temperature changes or in how you grip it. Apply a few strips of black gaffers tape for a few rounds and see if that helps. If so, then you might want to think about using a black camera case while you shoot to keep things in the dark. Just a suggestion.</p>

<p>Thanks so much everyone for your replies! I will try all of your suggestions and report back. I just bought some b/w Ilford film and can't wait to try it, will be more careful with loading although I do make sure the film is loaded properly. <br />Tony - yes, I sometimes leave the roll in the camera for about a week or so, I haven't even thought that might be the cause, thanks.</p>

<p>Dittos on Chuck's suggestion about establishing a tight wrap on the takeup spool from the start. If it starts a bit loose the wrap may end up large enough in diameter when all the film is on the takeup that the spool ends won't be enough protection for light entering from the side. In this case, changing out the film in very subdued lighting is good, no direct sun! And I usually place the exposed roll in the wrapper that the fresh roll came in, just for a bit more protection until processed.<br>

To get that tight wrap at the start, I place a thumb on the fresh roll as I crank the leader onto the takeup spool until the start arrows are in position. Many 120 cameras have a bit of built-in natural drag on the supply spool but a bit more applied by thumb can't hurt!</p>

• 6 months later...
<p>I second the suggestions. Be careful when loading and keep a thumb on the spool so it never gets a chance to loosen. I got relaxed loading film after a while and sure enough some light leaked in. Now I am very careful and it hasn't happened again. BTW this is a really fun camera to use. How did it work out for you?</p>