buying a Shen-hao, in China

phillip_bond

<p>A search hasn't resulted in any current answers...<br>

I may have the opportunity to travel to China at some point in the next several months. Do any China resident readers have advice with regards to buying a Shen-hao 4x5 in China? Is the price difference worth the trouble and if so, are there buying tips one might want to be aware of?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Phil</p>

<p>Which office in China will you be going to?<br />Most Shen Haos are built in the main office in Shanghai.<br>

I suggest calling ahead. The normal frontdesk lady doesn't speak much English. She gave me the number of her associate, who I communicated with through email. I got my package will no problems on their end. Call and Email ahead, and I think they will be happy to accomdate you.<br>

Note: apparently, buying from their american supplier, BadgerGraphic, it is actually cheaper than buying directly from China. The invoice I got from the Shanghai office, the camera was about 150 USD more if I bought it in Shanghai. (however, I don't live in the US; so I wasn't able to take advantage of that situation.) </p>

<p>OK, Phillip. I heard from my friend in Beijing and he was not much help. He can't remember how much the camera was and never did go to the factory in Shanghai. But he did buy a complete outfit in Beijing from Edward Chung and Mary Kwok at <a href="http://www.greenviewclub.com">www.greenviewclub.com</a> He said that they are a first-class outfit with a huge variety of all kinds of view cameras and are also a high-end custom lab. They speak English so that is not a problem if you do not speak Chinese. I hope this helps! Robbie</p>

<p>I've read that Shen-hao 4x5's take the same Linhof (Tech IV and later) and Wista lensboards. Does anyone know if the Shen-hao 5x7 camera uses the same 4x5 board? It would be super convenient to move a Tech IV or Wista mounted lenses directly to a 5x7. Certainly would be a selling point of the Shen-hao 5x7 to me, personally.</p>

<p>Philip</p>

<p>I bought an exquisite Shen Hao 8x10 about 8 years ago direct from the boss (forgot his name) in Shanghai. They even inscribed my name on the front plate. They have a small showroom in the giant camera/photo/weddings shopping mall in SE shanghai. Their website may have the address. The materials -teak and titanium- and build quality of my camera were the equal of any Ebony or Chamonix I've seen.<br>

That being said, if I were to do it again, I would go through Badger due to the language problems. I was lucky to have our office lady help me, without whom I would not have been able to do the deal. I am no longer posted in China, so...<br>

Cheers</p>