Do we need to turn off VR before switching off the camera?

geo_lam

<p>VR will turn Off automatically, a second or a fraction of, after you take your finger off the shutter release button, so there is no need to turn it by using the switch on the lens. The VR switch on the lens can stay On all the time.</p>

<p>If you do not turn off the camera immediately after removing your finger off the shutter release button, you will allow the VR logic to stop running and park the floating optical element in optimal position, and turn itself off.</p>

<p>If you are very quick on your fingers, and turn Off the camera immediately after removing your filnger from the shutter release buton that was half pressed, then the VR logic may not have enough time to park the lens optical element in parking position. With latest DSLR this needed time is insignificant, or the camera logic takes care of it. It was noticeable with D70, including some image shift in the viewfinder that some people observed. Looks like this is not an issue with the latest DSLR models.</p>

<p>The time needed to stop VR motors and park VR optical element may be different between lenses and the cameras, as well as initial lens VR behavior next time the camera is turned on, if the VR was not allowed to park propperly.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Franks has it pretty well right. The VR turns off when the meter turns off - which is user adjustable. You cab can actually hear it parking if you listen closely.</p>

<p>If you turn the camera off with the VR not parked - you may hear a rattling from the lens - that is the VR unit. Just turn the camera back on - half-press the shutter and then release. Wait a few seconds and then turn the camera off.</p>

<p>Well, I do believe all of you, but some time ago, somebody said that by leaving the VR on, it will damage the lens cause still the mechanism was floating and was much better to turn it off if you are not using it, so that being said, what should be the right way to handle this? I do turn it off if I am not using it because that is what the manual dictate. I guess because I am use to this, will continue handle it that way, regardless. Better off that on, just in case I guess. </p>

<p>"<em>Well, I do believe all of you</em>," - I would not... :)<br>

E.g. <em>"The Nikon manuals<strong> all</strong> say to turn it off before turning off the camera</em>"<br>

Some peole must read better Nikon manuals than others?. Manuals for D300S, and D700 as well as 70-200 VR II lens do not mention the need to turn Off the VR. They mention this for reason to conserve the battery.</p>

<p>The question is a common one and comes about because Nikon's wording can be confusing. In my understanding, you should not turn off the camera when VR is active/working. E.g. when you press the shutter to activate VR and then release it, it takes a second to lock the VR in the static position. You can sometimes hear this as a click or clunk and the whine of the VR gyros stops. Before this locking mechanism engages the VR elements can "float" a little and so might be damaged if you throw the lens about. However, turning off the VR switch on the lens is uneccesary.<br>

Quoting form the NIkon 70-200 manual:<br>

"Do not turn the camera power OFF while the vibration reduction mode is in operation. Otherwise, the lens may emit a chattering noise if the camera is shaken. This is not a malfunction. Turn the camera power ON again to correct this." (I interpret ths to mean that the VR mechanism should not be actually working (e.g. reducing vibration), when the camera is switched off. Contrast this to the explicit, "turn the switch off" language below.)<br>

"When the lens is mounted on a tripod, set the vibration reduction ON/OFF switch to OFF. However, set the switch to ON when using a tripod without securing the tripod head, or when using a monopod." (Again, this backs up my interpretation, since here they tell you explicitly to move the switch to off, rather than using the confusing "operating" language).<br>

I have several VR lenses and habitually leave the VR on, but I do make sure allow the VR to lock and turn off the camera before switching lenses.</p>