Marketing advice

hfd4177

Hello again all. Looking for some advertising advice for a new business. I was was wondering what you all think of this idea. I want

to have a bunch of nice 4x6 postcards made up with a nice picture on front and a coupon on the back. I then plan on going to the

local bookstore and placing them in some wedding magazines.

I would also like to start contacting wedding reception venues and wedding related businesses. What should I have in hand when I

visit and what should I offer them. I was thinking of offering some local florists free prints of some of their work in a framed colage

with my business info included. What can I offer a venue. Should I make some cheaper press printed books or perhaps a press kit of

sorts.. Right now I send a press kit to prospective brides. The kit includes a sample contract a cd slide show a business card a few

4x6 poster type postcards and my price list. would something like this work for a venue as well? Again thanks for your help.

<p>Placing the cards in magazines at the bookstore is a very bad idea for several reasons. Your press kit (of sorts) appears overly ambitious and aggressive. Suggest that you slow down, start by reading all the threads here under the marketing category and proceed more cautiosly......negative contacts are hard to repair.</p>

<p>2 points in general-<br>

If you are promoting a coupon, make sure it has a deadline, otherwise there's no incentive.<br>

For venues, you should provide them with something that promotes THEM that can be used in their sales presentation. This way the will show it. Otherwise they may never show it. Also, it's best to provide them with photographic prints and NOT press prints if you want to show the quality of your work. Another great thing to show up with is either lunch, pastries, chocolates or any other type of gift.....-TED :-)</p>

Thanks everyone. David, why is placing cards in magazines a bad idea and why is a press kit a bad idea. Press kit

only goes to brides that have already contacted me. I like the idea of a press kit better than a brochure. Please tell me

why this is to aggressive.

<p>Brian,<br>

Placing cards in magazines may have some legal issues that you would need to check into. My guess is that you would not only need permission from the bookstore, but from the company who publishes the magazine as well. Look at it this way. Let's say you pay handsomely for an ad in a magazine and someone is allowed to "advertise" for free by inserting something into that magazine that actually has more visitility than the paid ad and they're doing it for free. Magazines actually charge more for inserts than regular ads. Again, something you should check into ahead of time.</p>

<p><em>"....why is placing cards in magazines a bad idea and why is a press kit a bad idea...."</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

The magazines are not yours, they are there for sale to the bookstore's customers, ethically & legally you are not entitled to them. Ted also mentions that it would infringe on the legitimate advertising in the mags. This is common sense stuff.</p>

<p>The press kit is IMO overkill, I don't see the need to include a sample contract or your price list, those are items to discuss when you get an actual inquiry or have your initial meeting. Still suggest that you start reading the prior threads on marketing and network with local vendors in your area.</p>

<p>".....why is placing cards in magazines a bad idea........."<br>

I have to agree that placing the post cards in magazines is a bad idea. Potential clients may ask themselves "why are these in here and not attached?" (It comes off as a little shady) Virtually all subscriptions or advertisements have to be physically ripped out of the magazines. I truly believe that this is a bad first impression to leave a prospective client with.</p>