5D Metadata contains incorrect serial number

abdul smith

<p>I just noticed that beginning sometime in February '10, Apple's Aperture has been arbitrarily recording two different serial numbers for one of my cameras bodies (5D MKI) in the EXIF data (one being the correct serial number, the other being a completely different number beginning with a negative sign in front of it).<br /><br />I had the camera serviced by Canon back in January to fix a faulty USB connector. I never noticed anything different about my camera, but i'm wondering if it's possible Canon swapped out the camera and didnt tell me? Although even that does not make sense, b/c since then, aperture still recorded the correct serial number on subsequent shoots (albeit arbitrarily). It does seem for the past 6 months or so it has mostly recorded the incorrect one. Any ideas?<br /><br />The last time the correct serial number was recorded was 7/13/10, all photos since then contain the incorrect number. Strangely, photos from February-July is an arbitrary mix of the 2. Very confusing.<br /><br />I'm curious if this is an Aperture (software) issue, or a possible issue with the camera firmware. AFAIK I am on the latest/greatest camera firmware. I googled but havent seen anyone with any similar issues, so wondering if anyone has seen anything like this?</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply Bob. Good suggestion. Opened up one of my recent RAW files in DPP, and sure enough, it contained the correct serial number. I guess this would point to the issue being the software.<br>

Thanks, hadn't thought of that.<br>

Now to figure out what's going on with Aperture that it's displaying the wrong serial #..</p>