Canon 40D and Nikon D300

joel_stowe

<p>I am looking at shooting Portraits and (Weddings more in the future when I can afford 2 bodies). The 2 camera's that I am looking at going with would be the Nikon D300 or the Canon 40D. The reason for these 2 camera's being choosen are their price range at todays prices. I would be using 3 zoom lens all of them Nokia's and then 2 prime lens also.<br>

The question I need to know from users of these camera's is how large a print can be produced using low ISO settings and also tripod. I would use the prints for display purposes.<br>

Also does Canon have a rear-curtain sync with its flash units, like the Nikon does?<br>

Thanks for the responces in advance, Joel<br>

And just incase you want to know what lens I would be using, they are the 50-135 f2.8, 17-50 f2.8, and the 11-16 f2.8 then the primes would be a 50 and 80.</p>

<p>I own a 40D and use it regularly. I have been out on a couple shoots with a friend who uses a D300, and now a D300s and can offer some comments on the two.<br>

I think the D300 battery is much superior, as is the rear LCD - two things that may factor in to your wedding shooting. The D300 has a more flexible flash system when using multiple off camera flashes as the built-in controls the others - another wedding plus. To me the D300 has a better feel in the hand but that is clearly a subjective experience that will vary between users.<br>

I use the 40D because it takes my Canon lenses, was inexpensive, and it does everything I need it to for an APS C body. I mostly use other Canon bodies with larger sensors, but the 40D is a nice camera. If I was to start a new system based on a wedding service and had no existing gear to limit my freedom - I would pick the Nikon D300 body over the 40D every time if those were my choices. I don't know how much a D300 goes for now, but a 40D is under 500 delivered used now it seems.<br>

Both cameras will print very large, both have rear sync and high speed sync options. Don't rush on the lenses in either case, and I would get the best lens first (the lens you will use most) and see if you are really going to need all the different glass for your work. I would definitely look at a high end strobe to go with your camera, and a battery pack/good batteries to go with the flash before all the lenses.</p>

<p>I think Eric has a good point. The D7000 will do everything the D300 does and more. Especially important is dual SDHC slots where one can be set up as 'backup'. If you plan to shoot weddings this is a very important feature and could get you out of a hole if one card fails. The extra dynamic range it's supposed to have will also help with the 'dark suit, white dress' situation. KR reckons the metering is the best of any Nikon he's used & he was spot on with his analysis of the D80's metering characteristics.</p>