Nikon hypersync

clark_becker

<p>Does anybody on here use a d300 or other nikon bodies, and happen to use a MiniTT1 or FlexTT5 as a transmitter and use the hypersync function. I am trying to see if it is going to sync up to 1/500. I can't find anyone on the internet that uses this setup. I am using 3 Plus II right now and would like to add another for another flash, and if I could add a mini or flex and sync up to 1/500 it would be amazing.</p>

<p>The Nikon version have been released - there is a good write-up here:<br>

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10057-11055<br>

It looks like the RF issues have been largely fixed and the feature set, including hypersync is pretty sweet. They have also re-optimised some of the TTL features to allow for use of larger light modifiers (increasing the power of the first metering pulse) and squelching the master flash output for better recycling performance. You can also mix Canon and Nikon flashes with manual power control.</p>

<p>Let's see how the new product works.</p>

<p>For now, just guessing from prior PW experiences, consoider the text below, and see how the issues were resolved by PW.</p>

<p>The strength of Nikon CLS is pre-flash testing, when the reflected light from all remote flashes comes back to the camera lens (through iTTL), and from the lighting test the camera determins proper exposure and flash outputs for all remote flashes. </p>

<p>Pocket Wizard (PW) seems does not interfere with Nikon's CLS pre-flash testing, (except perhaps providing more flash power for pere-flash test ?), however could possibly compromise the auto lighting CLS quality determination by altering the pre-flash output power, trading the test acuracy for the extended triggering distance via radio means, as well as providing more light for the preflash test?</p>

<p>Nikon's CLS max range was carefully selected to use some minimal amount of all flashes energy, and preserves most of it for the final exposure. Seems that PW perhaps provides more light from the flashes for CLS testing, and also increases the CLS max range, - something that perhaps should have stayed not changed if PW does not make exposure determination and let Nikon do it. </p>

<p>Radio triggering will extend the triggering range part, but possibly will leave the CLS exposure determination range at disadvantage, since the effective CLS range is built-in the Nikon flashes and DSLR cameras, and PW does not make exposure determination, just trying to improve on it. However, more test light could yield a better CLS test ?</p>

<p>Since PW took a long time to provide this product, let's just hope that all the CLS aspects were consirered, and PW provided changes, would not be limited to just extending radio trigger range, but other aspects of the CLS operation are improved and provide reliable automated flash system.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Clark,<br>

hypersync does work, and I was able to get pretty clean images (no or little shutter banding) up to 1/2500s with my d300, a set of tt5's and sb-800 at full power, some banding occured at 1/250 and 1/320, maybe there are still some settings to change. A bit slower with sb-900, 600 and 24.<br>

From my 2-day experience, the whole CLS-wannabe system is too complex to flawlessly work with and still needs much firmware improvement, but it's definitely worth getting a flex or mini to hyperync with the older PW's.</p>